What is "pistol grip"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lithnights, May 12, 2007.

1. lithnights

lithnights LawnSite Member

I've read a couple posts about "pistol grip" and was wondering exactly what that means. I did a search and have scanned through dozens of threads looking for a description or picture to help me understand but have been unsuccessful. I have a Gravely 36 PRO. Is that considered pistol grip or not?

And what is the advantages/disadvantages of pistol grip? I may have to replace my Gravely very soon and want to know whether to look for or avoid pistol grip.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

the handles on this mower are "Pistol Grip"

4. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Its the thingy you squeeze. If you get a chance, try out the toro t-bar WB's instead of a pistol grip. They're pretty nice.

pistol grip.JPG
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Unless it's a pro-steer then it's a pistol grip machine. Pro-steer works like the sticks on a ZTR.

Disadvantage; squeezing all day long, chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
  6. lithnights

OK, makes perfect sense. I indeed do have pistol grips on my Gravely then. I could see how using them hours a day, day after day could cause pain or carpal tunnel issues. I guess as a homeowner I obviously don't notice it as much.

I guess my next question is what exactly does a T- bar look like? I guess I'll go do a search for that. I'll look up Toro t-bar...

Thanks all!
  7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

T bar right here bro

Also...Wells is right on with Carpal Tunnel ..... be careful!!

8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Daily Double!!!!

The handlebars on a walk behind commercial mower, usually pointed downward at a slight angle can be called this????????

Ill take lawnmowers for for $400. please
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What is Pistol Grip!!????

American made beer for $800
  10. lithnights

Got it. Now I'm wondering how you actually turn with a tbar. It looks like one single bar rather than two grips obviously. I guess I'll go to my local dealership and take a look at some point. Probably easier to see it in person to understand how it actually works.

Thanks all.