What is Primo Max?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Joemow, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Joemow

Joemow LawnSite Member

Has anybody ever heard of a product called Primo Max ? What does it do ?
    Thanks, Joe

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

primo maxx is gods gift to grass cutters. It is very expensive but does a great job. We apply it to the lawns we cut and we have zipped right thru without even blowing a clump this season and we have had a lot of rain. Some lawns we felt like we were screwing the people for being there cutting cuz we were only giving a hair cut to a bald man after 7-8 days of growth.

3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

A turf management tool that maximizes performance, pre-conditions for stress prevention, and optimizes the mowing effort.

Mode of action
    PRIMO® MAXX® is a Class A Plant Growth Regulator (PGR) and is a Late Gibberellin (GA1 ) Biosynthesis Inhibitor.

Targets
    Unlike other PGR's, PRIMO MAXX targets the part of the plant which inhibits vertical growth while enabling rich colour, lateral stems and root mass development. The purpose of pre-stress conditioning is to prepare turf grass for extreme conditions before they hit.

*** Repeat applications improve turf quality and stress tolerance, allowing plants to survive adverse weather better and keep the course in playable condition.

*** This micro-emulsion formulation is as clear as water, odorless and causes no staining or smell on the golf course

*** Turf growth is reduced about 50% for up to four weeks when applied at label rate. So PRIMO MAXX product cost will pay for itself with labor and equipment savings. Mowing equipment life is extended and equipment performance is improved

*** Improves overseeding establishment

*** Turf treated with PRIMO MAXX results in grass which is healthier, has a more durable blade with a higher tolerance to weather extremes
    ======================

I am considering testing this this year. However, it's expensive. It's only sold in gallon conatianers and costs $433/gal and uses .75oz/m for Fescue lawns.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It only works for 4 weeks???

5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

yep!

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

i've used regular Primo (primo Max wasn't out then) and it workedd quite well. I used it on some very long fence lines. This saved me a lot of trimming time. I think I payed $117 for a quart. If I recall , this rate was 1 - 2 ounces per gallon.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So, please help me out. What's the advantage of it. I charge by the cut, so I'm screwing myself out of money if use Primo max. Furthermore, if I was cutting the lawn when it really didn't need it, I'm screwing the customer. Finally, though it's possible, I think I'd have a really hard time convincing the customer that I'm charging more for my services, because I'm cutting the lawn less, but charging him more the chemical I put on so it doesn't grow.
    Please tell where this product is a money maker for me.
    I can see if you have "contract work" and don't want to mow the lawn, but then as a customer, if I calculated the money I was spending and watched how much you were cutting the grass and high it was, I'd fire you and get another service.
    Pete

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Easy to answer. For you there would be no advantage to using Primo Max, first you have said before you don't do apps, so you would have to pay someone else. I have sprayed over 200 k this spring at $10 per k plus stop fee, the math is easy around $3000. for $600 worth of product (Primo and Iron).

I do full management, not just a cutting service, so my goal is to have turf looking good all year long. When many lawns are burning in the summer mine are still green, the use of Primo Max and a pre-conditioner and Sustaine mine stay green...more moeny for me.

Since my customers pay monthly I benifit for the quicker mows and skipped trimmings, since the lawn looks great, clipping are mimimal, beds stay clean and all are happy.

IF you get paid per cut STAY AVAY FROM PRIMO MAX!! IF you are paid to manage nice properties and are looking for an incredable product here it is.

I posted this last year but here is an example of what Primo Max can do, a weeks work of growth in the spring last year, when others were double and triple cutting I was rapidly single cutting and not trimming half the time.

A weeks growth:

primo lawn 1 deck.jpg

9. KirbysLawn

When your lawn is buring in the summer and you are not mowing, my monthly checks are still rolling in and the lawns are green. You see here the treated v/s untreated, both irrigated:

summer burn.jpg

10. KirbysLawn

I found on tall fescue the coverage was 10 weeks or so at 0.75 oz per k, go slightly higher and coverage is longer.