What is Red Thread?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

What is red thread?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It is a thread started on this forum by a Communist.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

its a type of fungus that you get on the lawn usually after extended periods of rain or the lawn constantly being damp. it basically looks like red yarn on woven through the grass blades. it will go away after the lawn dries out, or you can treat with fungicides.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

its a pain in the ass disease that is a b***** to get rid off. I have had my fair share of it this season.

5. Expert Lawns

the truegreen guy told my customer that she had red thread and that i would have to bag the lawn for the next 4 cuts to get rid of it. i gave her the price to bag the lawn and she wasn't sure if she wanted to do it.

does bagging the lawn help get rid of red thread?

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Red thread is NOT that bad of a fungus. Yes Expert, if a lawn has a fungus, bagging the clippins is recommended to avoid spreading the disease to other healthy turf. Usually red thread is an indication of lack of Nitrogen (tough to believe w/ TGCL). I would suggest a light dose of N to push this fungus out. If there is dollar apot, or summer patch, do not apply N as this will cause these diseases to spread more rapidly. You also could apply a fungicide such as bayleton. Just check the label and apply accordingly.

7. Expert Lawns

Turfdude, I know NOTHING about applications. I will leave that to the Truegreen guy. I can't apply anything legally anyways. I was just wondering if red thread could be fixed by me bagging. Also, did I do anything to cause red thread or is it unavoidable. i would like to know if there is something i can do/change. thanks

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What turfdude said was accurate. And he was correct that it's not a very difficult problem to deal with.

They used to think red thread was a fungus. But recently, turf scientists view it as more of a mix between a fungus and a mold.

Traditionally, it had been treated with a fungicide with limited success. But more recently they realized that if you just gave the lawn a shot of quick Nitrogen it would solve the problem much quicker and simpler. You're basically making the lawn grow so fast that the Red Thread can't keep up. So that's usually the standard procedure these days.

Red thread grows on lawns that have been damp and haven't been fed much Nitrogen for a long time - turf that is growing very slowly. So again, the solution is to get the turf growing again rapidly.

Red thread is probably the most common lawn problem we have here in Oregon. With our rain, our lawns are prone to developing it. But I almost never see it on the lawns we maintain because we're always fertilizing adequately as part of our service. The only time I see it anymore is on lawns we don't maintain.

A dose of quick-release Nitrogen fertilizer will fix the problem fairly quickly. But this time of year you want to be VERY careful applying quick-release fertilizer. It has a high burn potential. I recommend a real thorough watering directly after the fertilzer is applied.

9. Expert Lawns

this lawn is VERY damp all the time. They have a serious problem in the back yard. There is so much water under the ground that they are getting large bumps about 8-10 feet long taht you can actually stand and walk on. when you do, you sink like quicksand but you do not penetrate the soil. It's almost like walking on one of the "moonwalks" that you see at kids birthday parties. They have called the builders and also the township office to see what needs to be done. I'm sure this is contributing to their red thread problem

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a great opportunity to dig some french drains into the soil to help that water make it lower into the soil.

Big dirty job, but those pay well.