what is scalping?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DandG, Feb 23, 2007.

1. DandG

DandG LawnSite Member

hey I see alot of u guys talking about scalping and was just wondering what that involves and what machines and things like that do u use

2. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

Well is done with a mower. It caused by having youre blade too low and it makes like a circular mark on grass. It can also happen when your cutting on a hill or an unleveled surface. Basically its balding the grass

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

it can also happen when you turn the mower while still on the grass. it will put divots in the lawn. and it can happen with both w/b's & zero turns.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

May want to add that sometimes at the beginning of the season, scalping is done on purpose by cutting at a very low height.

I am not sure of the exact reason for doing it, though. I think it has something to do with removing the dead grass so the new grass can grow more quickly? I'm a little ignorant on the reason, someone will have to clarify that.

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I never cut the grass lower then 3 inches due to scalping or browing the grass. The higher the cut the healthier the grass looks as long as you keep the blades sharp

7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

scalping is an error you don't want to do it, and if you do it alot you won't be in business very long.

8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

It happens when your blades start tilling the dirt instead of cutting the grass... not a good thing.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah not a good thing to do and besides tearing up the lawn if the blades dig in really good it may cost you more than your reputation it may cost you alot of money by having to repair a bent crankshaft.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

scalping, there are certain grasses ( i dont know which ones) that are scalped in the spring... there are photos here of a guy with piles of dead grass on the curb.... this is a common practice in some areas with certain grass.... it is not a mistake, unless you do it where and when it is inappropriate