what is SGN???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turftechmd, May 25, 2008.

1. turftechmd

turftechmd LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me what SGN is (in reference to fertilizer), means, how and where to find it, how to figure it out etc.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

SGN stands for "size guide number." SGN refers to the prill size of any given fertilizer. The higher the SGN rating, the larger the prills will be. For example, a fertilizer with an SGN rating of 200, will have bigger prills than a fertilizer with an SGN rating of 150. Understand?

3. turftechmd

turftechmd LawnSite Member

thanks for the explination.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Have ya'll noticed that many manufacturers are a little off on SGNs. I hate when a product is supposed to all be say between 200-250 and you have everything from 300 down to dust sized particles in the bag.

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious. What manufacturer makes the bulk of the fert you use? I mainly use Spring Valley products and haven't had those SGN issues luckily.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have about tried everything. I have used two different local blenders, Lesco, Wilbur Ellis(which was the cleanest, most uniform fert) and lots of other manufacturers carried by local suppliers.