What is smarter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by howardsells2000, Sep 27, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Is is smarter to trade or sell your old equipment or is smarter to keep it as back up equipment.

I'm thinking about buying a Wright 32" Stander. Is it smarter to sell my Ferris 36" belt drive that the Stander is replacing or should I keep the 36" as a back up mower.

I would really like to get a Wright 52" Sentar Sport as well to replace my Ferris 52" DD Walk Behind. But I don't think I can really justify that much money.

Since I'm a one man operation I certainly don't need to keep all of these mowers and the money I could get from selling them will help with the purchase of the new equipment. But I'm also kicking around the idea of hiring another person next year and who knows maybe even another crew if I could drum up enough work. I have about 100 customers now.

I'm not sure if I will buy anything or not but I'm wondering what you folks think about this idea.
  2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

100 customers? I'd keep the old mower as a backup. And if you hire a helper it'll come in handy.

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I would deffinatly keep that other mower! If the wright breaks down you would be in big trouble :hammerhead: Not that it would, plus you would have the setup for a crew then if you ended up getting more accounts! 100 is alot.
  4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

you can either sell it before it loses all value on the market or just plain run it to the grave... either way get every last penny you can squeeze out of it.
  5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wonder the same thing. I am seriously considering a sentar next season too, but will keep one or both of my 36" JD belt drives. I have 2 or 3 or more of everything. I try to buy the same equip so I can use the old for parts. I have too dang much now though. Whoa is us.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

With the large number of accounts you have, I would definitly put it in the back of the garage if you have the room. It might come in handy to get you out of a jam. JMO