What is the advantage of a WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOJO111, Jul 8, 2004.

1. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Down here no one seams to have the nead for one.If
    If you have the need for a 36' or 48' why not use a
    ztr 36'or 48' faster more manuvrable . whats the advatage.
    just asking :confused: :help:

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

In my oppinion, there is no advantage, if you can afford the Ztr.. Lots will disagree, but I can't see any real advantage other than cost. A hydro WB is nice, But if you can afford that, you can afford a stand up ztr.. Just my nickel, mate.. Btw how do you like the kAWI 37 TRIMMER?

3. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Thanks mate:) nothing is left standing with the kwaka ,it takes
    out small trees with the steel blade

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there is no advantage if you mow flat, even accounts,however if you mow anything with a good slope, lots of roots, rocks, etc. then a WB will be faster than a Z, each has their place.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Z's are heavy and less maneuverable making it a tough machine for smaller lawns. I'm not saying that they're bad, I'm just saying that W/B's in the right situation are a better choice. Price is about $2,000 difference between a hydro 48" W/B and a quality, high HP 48" Z, pretty substantial.

6. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys just wanted to know .
    Every one here use's the ztr or ride on tractor's and 21' or 22'
    self propelled's.
    I use my ariens on hills upto 40.deg. ( i know i should't but it can do it) Stright up and down. Nice and sloooow coming down thou .its dam good gear allround.

7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Weight, able to get under trees, better on slopes, better on you back when mowing rough ground, price, if a rock or limb is in your way you can walk around and pick it up before you would be off your rider. On some places a good walk-behind will be faster than a rider. They both have their place in this industry so keep an open mind.
    Jeff

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up three easy high $$$ accounts this year where big fat guys rode over and rutted little lawns w/their Z's. On each account I asked the homeowner "Are you happy with THAT?" and the account was mine.
    Sure they were done in 4 min. and it takes me 7, but the lawns looked like crap all rutted...Sometimes it pays to get off your arse....

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

wouldn't you be consuming more gas being that you're carrying a guy on average 160lbs.? I know some wd users have sulky's, but not all. I actually walk behind my walk behind.

10. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Never had problems with ruts ,the ground here is a sandy lome so it drains well, and I allways do
    an expert cut, if the ground is to soft I ask them if they can wait a day or so to let it dry thats if they want a good job done:D