What is the advantage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Jun 16, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I recently got the latest Dixie Chopper catalog. They claim to have the fastest blade speed of anyone. Scag makes no such claims, but the grass on a scag spreads out a long way and the cut is nice. What is the advantage of a high blade speed then?
  2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

blade speed is a factor when ground speed is coming into play. If you drove at 1mph cutting, you will hit the blades you are cutting X amount of times, based on the number of rotations (rpm or fps) made before your deck area cleared the grass stand. Go 5 mph and to get the same number of blade strikes to the same area of grass and now you must have the blades turn 5 times faster to be equal. Now factor in some of the claims for "cutting" at 15 mph and you get the idea. The majority of decks cut somewhere in the vicinity of 16-18k feet per second(fps) tip speeds. I'm not sure what the very most current OSHA regulations are, but they will not be far past those speeds. So when you start asking about how fast, start asking about how fast and still be clean or else you're just asking a customer to pay for wheel tracks.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Faster blade tip speed = cleaner, faster, nicer looking cut.
  4. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

theres alot that factors into a commercial quality cut ,deck design,blade design, how well a deck clears itself , engine rpm, hp,torque,and iam sure several more, my jds run 16,500 fpm at 3600 rpm and cut nearly perfect , so iam not sold that just because your blade tip speed is over 18,500 you get a better cut , there are just to many other factors, now that said, higher bts cant hurt , i just dont think its all about speed. i turned the rpm up on one of my 777s from 3600 to 3900-3950 and i really didnt notice a big difference in the cut or the flow coming out of the chute, i know that my 777s at 16500 will cut just as good as any 18500 machine, if not better!!!
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

6. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Hey runner I read and was told that the OSHA limit was 19,500. I have heard that from several dealers and Dixie Chopper home office and I found it on line some where. But I did not find it from an OSHA athority just hear say.
  7. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Maybe the Dixie has an inferior deck design(I don't see why they would though) and they need to have a better grass clearing device,i.e. blade speed. I think that my Super Surfer need more blade speed to get the grass out faster and avoid puking chunks of grass.
  8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a dixie and when there is a wet grass I still have some clumping on the lawn no matter what blades I use.
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I use Scag right now but have used DC in the past. Scag's are great with wet grass and clumping. My turftigers shoot it out 25 foot. The cut is also great. Now on the dixies you will get clumping if the blades are off and if the deck pitch is off. Now for "The Mayor" Did you try using Doubles?
  10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Guilty, I never did try double blades.