What is the advantages of a Walk behind over a Zero turn mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mirror7m, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Mirror7m

Mirror7m LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying an Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 , It is the 48 inch deck with a 19HP Kaw engine. I currently have a Gravely 60inch deck zero turn . I would like to know the advantages of a walk Behind over the Zero Turn. And also would like to know who has a Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 and how do you like it .

2. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

more exercise

3. Mirror7m

Mirror7m LawnSite Member

I will get the StandOn kit for it.

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Exmark Turf Tracer HP is a very popular mower and yes there are many advantages to having a walkbehind.

Better stability on hills
    less weight which meens less damage to the turf
    costs less to maintain
    easier to get underneath and change blades
    better trimming in small areas
    ... just to name a few.
    Each type of mower has it's advantages and disadvantages.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lighter weight, greater mobility, easier (and greater) maneuverability, portability, cost, and the fact that you can do things with a wb that you would never even attempt with a Z like dropping in down into ditches, and working certain hillsides. Anything else? :)
    If you're looking into the Exmark TT HP, you might as well save your time and effort and stop right now - because you will be hard pressed to find a nicer unit for that form of use. The machine is nothing but awesome. I have a friend that has two among all his mowers, and they have been superior to all the other wb's he's had in the past.

6. Mirror7m

Mirror7m LawnSite Member

What I am mainly looking for is for the mower to cut better then the Zero turn I have now . If it is the best choice to do I will be going and ordering one on Monday so I want to hear from as much people the advantages. Also is the 19hp Kaw engine big enough for the 48" ?

7. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I've always used a wb, for the reasons already listed. My weapon of choice is a Ferris 52" hydro with a 23hp kaw and a 2 wheel velke.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

There is less weight on the front wheels on the walk. The deck doesn't work as hard to lift the front tire grass up to cut like on the heavier riders.

Case closed. The walk wins. Oh 19 is more then enough for the 48" deck.

9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned many a TTHP and have always had 15 or 17hp. They have been great. I always like more power but you have to always be realistic as to how high the grass is to be cut.

10. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We only use wbs, s I can't comment on ride on z-turn. We have two tthps, one 17hp & one 19 hp. Look no further, you will be very happy. Especially with the electric start, I wouldn't be without it. I hate pulling those engines over. Here's a pic of one of ours.....:) [​IMG]