what is the "average" gate size?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 8, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How wide are most backyard gates? I'm thinking my 38" cut JD (41" wide or slightly more overall) might not fit and that is all I need it for. Otherwise I'd have to use a Lawn Boy push or try to trade the Deere for a 32" or 36" belt drive. Thanks,
    Eric

2. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

This has been addressed in the past and it appears that the gate size does vary depending on what parts of the country you are in. Best bet would be to get the old tape measure out and go measure a few. It wouldn't nescessarily need to be customers that you already have, just do a cross section of the different homes in your intended trade area. Shouldn't be any real hassle measuring gates, if needed, just knock on the door and tell them you are doing a survey for school, might be a great time to but out flyers on the same walk.

3. Vague........

Did we build these gates? How would we know.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

sorry for the vagueness. I always thought there was a standard size.
    Eric

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say most fences are between 36" and 40". If it becomes a proble, just sell the Deere and buy another Scag or Exmark 32" and put a Flex-Deck on it.

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

In my area, new subdivisions are making gates about 35". The 32" mower is very popular around here.

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

BHB, most gates, if we are talking a chainlink fence, are 32,36,and48 inches. On the sides of the gate there is about two inches of clearance, on most all gates, so add that to each gate size to figure what mower can go thrugh what gate.

In my experience, most yards with a 32 inch gate are not worth fooling with, unless they pay really well. I hate mowing with trim mowers.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

lawnkid, that sounds great but I don't think I will have enough to justify a Flex Deck just yet ;) I only have one gated area as of yet and it is a double wide so Scag fits. However I would hate to turn down someone because they have a small gate cause I could use the work & money. I know gated yards in general are a pain for mowing and trimming and that fact alone is enough reason to stay away from them but if someone asked me well I couldn't turn 'em down.
    Rob, thank you.
    Lawnworker, thanks.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

There is no such thing as a standard size in chainlink fence gates. I've made my own gates because I coudn't buy the size I wanted. If you go to Menards or Lowes you can buy all the peices to make to the size you want. So, I would always measure the gates to make sure your equipment fits.

10. Is that 2x4 on 16" or 24" centers?

Is that fence post 6' cenetered or 6.5' centered.

Not many assmeble fences with measuring tools.