1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the avg realestate value of your customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ngog_Nrythrng, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I live on the unfashionable east side. In a twenty minute drive time radius around me, the homes are in the $80k-$200k range. I don't want to travel farther than that, for a variety of reasons.

My business model would require high quality at a good value.

1. At this income level are the customers going to care about quality?
    2. Am I going to get trashed by the 'crapsman in a buick' crowd?
    3. Can you still make decent money mowing for the 'mow-edge-blow-go' types as a solo, or do you need to have crews?
    4. I know realestate values vary between cities/states, but can you give me a general idea of where you see the break between quality conscious customers and those looking only at price?

In the 80's I did high $ but fairly small yards near Lake Austin. These were yards the big LCO's would not touch due to verticallity: on about half I would have to carry a Lawnboy up and down stairs (lots of stairs). No bleeping way I could do that now.

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

225k and up, with the orlando realestate boom those 225k will be 250k in 6 months!
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

In the area I work the homes start at about $300,000 for a 2,000 SQ ft split level to about $800,000 in the newer developements. Yes the homeowner in the $800,000 pruduce me more income per because of all the add ons and the amoutn of landscaping on there propertiess but it comes with a price. All they do is cry poor and attempt to make you beleave they are on a very tight budget. The people in the modest 3-$400,000 homes ussually are the ones not complaining about price and saying if it needs it just do it and put it on the bill. The lesson......the more expensive he house dosnt mean the more money they want to spend. On the other hand....I cat amagine someone with a 80,000 dollar home even being able to afford a landscaper.......:confused:
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I work for a wide variety. I do some lawns with homes valued as litle as $45,000 up to high end residential valued at $3,000,000. I don't worry about their income level, but charge accordingly for the work I do. Some of the people who don't make much $$$ are my favorites. They have more of a grasp of reality and how difficult my work can be at times. People who work hard for their money appreciate the fact that I do too.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

None of the properties we do are less than $100K. And less than 5 are even under $200K. I'd say the avg. is somewhere between $300K and $600K.

I used to take care of the lower priced properties but there were several big problems with them. The biggest problem is that people with that size of home (and the incomes that go along with it usually) can't afford what we like to make. And many of them don't realize it. So they'd sign up for our service and we'd end up either with late payments all the time or they'd finally just realize they couldn't afford us any longer and cancel service. So nowadays we typically don't touch anything like that.

Another key difference is people in lower end properties don't usually want to pay for year-round service. Whereas people in the high-end homes EXPECT to have year-round service. So obviously, I prefer the latter.

Not that upper scale properties are totally devoid of problems. But it's a lot lower percentage - that's for sure.
  6. I mow residentials and also factories.:D
    I'd hate to try to make it on residentials alone.
    And I have some big residentials. One 6acre, an 8 ac. and a 10 ac. But they contain big empty lots that if I didn't mow them they would probably have bushhogged. So they don't pay a lot.
    Not very many "big money" neighborhoods around here.

7. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

i cut four houses in seven house development which is a remake of colonial williamsburg one house is easly 1 million + the other 3 are half million a piece they pay great but most are so picky about every little blade of grass but they give so much work i have to put up with it i would much wrather cut 10 mowblowandgo yards for the same amount and same time so stay away from the yards that need to be detailed
  8. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

They vary from $50,000 trailers to 800,000 lake front homes. I'd say the average home we service is $275,000.
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

lowest: $80k
    highest: $3m
    avg, $800-900k
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My lowest is around $150K (that's what a dumpy 800 sq. ft ranch goes for around here) and the highest around 1.5 Million. No idea what the average would be.

In fact, I was just checking out local real estate listings to try to see what one of my next door neighbors listed his house at, and I was amazed at how much houses have gone up in my area in the last 5 years. A new 4 bedroom colonial goes for around $500K! Yikes!!!!