What is the best 2 stroke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazyflyboy30, Feb 10, 2013.

1. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I like ALCO Synthetic Smokeless 2 Stroke Oil and I have Amsoil Saber Professional but I have not use so far. I heard it was to gummy

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

HP Ultra Stihl in the gray bottle.

It's kept my Stihl stuff running flawlessly.

3. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

Yes Stihl is a good one ,I fly Big rc airplanes and I have talk to some of the other flyers that use Ultra Stihl in there airplanes.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Amsoil Saber for all handhelds.

I used to use HP Ultra, but it isn't any better (maybe not even quite as good as) than Saber, and Saber costs a LOT less to buy and use.

5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used No Smoke 2 stroke and synthetic No Smoke 2 stroke and Opti-2. No problems with none of them. I've got around 10 gallons of Opti-2 right now. I used to use the little Opti-2 pouches but they can be a pain to open and not spill unless you have scissors. I've started buying it in a bottle you squeeze to measure out how much you need. The No Smoke I always bought in 2.5 gallon mix bottles. Haven't burned it in a couple years.

I'll tell you though, a guy that works with me sometimes had his own weedeater that he likes to use. He was really weird about his weedeater only using the Lawnboy oil. So, when he works, I let him bring his own oil to mix in the gas can. Wow, that stuff STINKS. Should I be letting him put that stuff in my gas? Is it quality? It really smells bad, especially when it is coming out of my 2 stroke Suzuki Toros or backpacks. No smoke though.

6. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

What mix ratio do you use the Amsoil or the HP Ultra at?

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

HP Ultra is a 50:1 mix only. Saber can be mixed at 50:1. or anywhere up to 100:1. I personally use it at 80:1 in all my handhelds. There are a lot of threads on it here. In a few of them I posted the cost per quart comparison for HP and Saber. Saber is a lot cheaper. I can buy a quart of it for about $11, while HP runs me about $26 for a 6 pack of 6.4 oz bottles (38.4 oz). That works out to .68 per oz for HP and .34 per oz for Saber. Running it at 80:1 makes it go even further for an even bigger savings in cost.

Saber is full synthetic too just like HP.

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had good luck with Stihl HP Ultra and Amsoil Saber Pro. Im currently running Amsoil 100:1 and saving a bunch of money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Can't say to what extent the importance is, but Stihl's synthetic 2-stroke oil is 100% synthetic. Opti, RedMax & most others are blends.

But probably more important is to use midgrade or higher octane-rated fuel in your 2-stroke mix...and ethanol-free gasoline if you can find it near you. Here is a link to ethanol-free stations in Alabama:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AL

Others will disagree with the above in order to save a few shekels, but I find peace-of-mind a wonderful thing.
    :angel: :laugh:

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

OK I have tried expensive Two stroke oil.:confused:

Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Oil, 1 Gallon:waving:
    From wall-mart