1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best 2 stroke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazyflyboy30, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Sounds pretty fair to me as well. have you had him do any work on any of your stuff yet? I'm just wondering the costs for porting/tuning. He doesn't say in his videos that I have ever found, and I've watched most all of them at one time or another.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This is 100% correct. When building an engine its jetted for the mixture its intended to run at. When the end user decides to change that oil mixture plug checks need to be made to see if the jetting needs adjustment. Most do not do this. Thus a few simple checks could have been made to avoid destroying the saw run on Saber at 100:1. The jetting could have been off or like I said earlier a vacuum leak is another common cause.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Prices vary considerably depending on what all he's doing. He offers multiple levels of performance, and it varies by individual models. Typical woods port job and a compression bump (remove base gasket, cut squish band, around $300. Of course, it depends on the general health of what you send him. He does stock re-builds as well.

I've been researching which builder I want to port my saw. Randy is a clear favorite. Aside from his rep for building great work saws (as opposed to strictly cookie cutters) he's a real stand up guy. And very generous to his "community". I can remember several times he's donated his time and labor for charity work IE: raffleing off a saw to help an injured climber pay his bills. That's on top of standing behind not just his work, but his customers as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GrassGuerilla

I'd be pretty surprised if Mastermind shipped a fresh job with a vacuum leak. I haven't heard any vids of the saw in question running, so I can't comment on its state of tune. But if you listen to some of his vids you can clearly hear the saws 4-stroking out of the cut, the. Clean up in the wood to a nice 2-stroke, then return to a happy burble when the cuts done. When I hear that, no need to pull the plug, I know what it will look like. I have every confidence it left his hands tuned well. Can't speculate as to how things sounded when the owner switched fuel, and wether or not he retuned it properly afterward. I'd bet not. But who knows?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

GMLC.......you just struck a nerve with me! There is nothing....and I mean nothing... that p!sses me off any quicker than a 2 stroke with a bad attitude! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself). :laugh: :drinkup:

6. GrassGuerilla

In the interest of getting back on topic, I offer this from the other site.

Randy do you recommend 32:1 on stock saw ?
    ↑I asked this on page 3.
    Just curious Randy, do you recommend 32:1 for stock saws too? Or better phrased, do you recommend 32:1 in saws that call for 50:1?

Randy's response:
    I run Belray H1R at 32:1 in every two stroke engine I own. The 50:1 bull **** is EPA crap.

Not intended to start a fight. Just wanted to share the opinion of a guy that builds hotrod 2-strokes for a living. Do with the info as you please.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I understand his view, and ain't arguing it.

But....when standing all day every day with one buried in the wood, especially if he's in the leafy top, not having to breath the fumes is a big plus. Like I said, that, and the having to do so much more cleaning are my big objections to the heavy mix ratios.

8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

9. GMLC

His opinion is obviously valued. As is the thousands safley running Saber 100:1 in the equipment we make our living with. Amsoil techline is a very valuable tool with questions regarding running 100:1 and there engine replacement guarantee backing Saber at 100:1.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GMLC

LOL....funny when a typo spells something entirely different. On a side note I have owned several 2 cycles with a major attitude. Like 140 hp at the rear wheel of a 350 pound race bike!
    Posted via Mobile Device