What is the best 2 stroke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazyflyboy30, Feb 10, 2013.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I may have to start at about 80:1 and work my way to 100:1 slowly. :) The days of mixing 16:1 are still fresh in my mind, so going from there to 100:1 (all at once) is quite a leap! :dizzy:

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

My first chainsaw wasa Poulan that ran 16:1 mix. Then I got a Stihl that ran at 40:1, then everything since that is recommended for 50:1, so I have "evolved" over time.;)

3. StanWilhite

Thanks for the info guys!

4. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

My Dad was a very big logger 3 tractor trailer,2 john deere 540a skidders ,john deere dozer ,knuckle boom loader, lowboy, lot of chainsaws we use 16:1 mix I remember putting 1 qt. to 4 gal. gas :dizzy:

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

There was no getting around smelling like oil smoke at the end of the day back then.:nono:

It kept the bugs at bay though:laugh:

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

You guys that want Amsoil need to get set up with a commercial account. I'm paying $7.89 a quart for Saber Professional by the case.

7. StanWilhite

I basically did the same...don't know why I wrote "all at once". (brain fart).

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you who are hesitant to trust 100:1 oil technology also use 1/3-1/2 cup of laundry soap in the washer with the newer concentrated soaps that only require an ounce per load?

Think about it. It makes about the same amount of sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Not that I need to explain myself to you, but since you apparently don't know quite as much as you seem to think you do....

I do it because I run the same mix in ALL my handheld tools, and chainsaws need the added lubrication to keep from burning a cylinder since they run at so much higher RPM's and produce much more heat than other handhelds. It may not hurt to run your saw every now and then on 100:1, but it isn't good for them if you run them a lot like some of us do. Just go ask a pro in one of the tree care forums what a cylinder looks like after running a saw on 100:1 for a while.

10. StanWilhite

I don't know anything about laundry mix ratios....my wife does that.