What is the best 21" self-propelled?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best 21" self-propelled mower for light residential use (10 -15 lawns per week)

2. lawntimenosee

lawntimenosee LawnSite Senior Member

Well.. we use only the Honda hrc216 comercial mowers. Little on the heavy side.. but durable as heck.

Before was the Toro commercials. Another good choice.

Probably too pricey for just light/homeowner use though (around $1200. here GA.).. I would still recommend checking out the Honda family and engines though.
    They seem to last forever when maintained. Kawasaki engines last awhile too.

I have read that alot of people use and like the personal pace series mowers by Toro for a non-commercial mower.
    I can't speak from experience though.. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with more advice. :)

3. Ecoscape01

Ya i looked at those Hondas with the Kawasaki motors........a little outta my price range to start......I'll have to wait a little to pick up one of those

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Either Toro proline or Honda's commercial 21" there both good mowers and will last a long time. I prefer Toro's Proline 21" w/bbc and simple design when compared to Honda's hydro 21" commercial line mowers but either will make you a solid mower. I have used both and put them through hell and back and they kept on going though now I only use Toro.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did you see a Honda mower with a Kawasaki engine? :confused:

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

you want something a little more affordable and well worth the money. Go to Lowes and check out the troybuilt mowers. Some will laugh, but it's what i use. I was doing 74 lawns a week last year and they will hold up fairly well. They only last me about a 18 months to 2 years, but for 3 hundred dollars well worth the money imo.
    keep the oil & air filter changed regularly and it will do the job.

7. Ecoscape01

thanks StBalor for the constructive advice.

8. Ecoscape01

it was a TORO echeandia not a Honda........my bad...i've been looking at mowers for a while tonight

9. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I have 2 John Deere JS 20 and they work great for me. Never had a problem!!