What is the best advice you have ever received?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, May 27, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best advice you have ever received, whether you figured it out through years of work or some wise soul once told you. Such as how to mow better, how to respond to customers more effectively, what equipment to buy, etc.

For me, mine would be to "never say no." If a customer asks you to do something for them, no matter how much of a pain it is, I do it. If they ask me to wash their car, I will. Do what ever it takes to make the customer happy. Many times they ask me about fertilizing, which legally I can't do, but I say oh sure I can take care of that for you and I will call a place that does fertilizing and have them do it. By saying no you bring on the possiblities of being replace, at least that is my take.

If the customer is happy, then I'm happy!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I say no sometimes. I think saying yes all the time would be a mistake. They would soon take advantage of you. But to some extent I will go the extra mile for the customer. Do a professional job, charge a fair (not lowball) price, build a relationship with the customer, if your winning all your bids your not charging enough.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes no is a good thing. I am all for learning however if you have absolutely no no knowledge of something is be best to steer clear of it before its screwed up and you end up costing your former client more money.

Part of being a professional in knowing what your limits are. Equipment skills or whatever.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

charge accordingly

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

The best advice I have ever received?

Marry a Rich Woman.

Do I always follow advice?

No.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My dad said the same thing to me...he said, "marry for money, love can always come later" :laugh:

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont take any wooden nickles

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

When in doubt, overcharge!

Never work for Doctors, Lawyers, or Clergy, not necessarily in that order.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Know your business model and financials', learn when to say no and charge pita's accordingly.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

never bet on the horse named elmers at the race. Don't care how long of a longshot it is.