What is the best all around set up for mowing?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THORNTON SERVICES LLC, Jan 31, 2013.

1. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare LawnSite Member

Steve is trying to get me to buy the new stander I was going to buy the old on until I used one and absolutely hated it, wasnt nearly as good on hills as I thought.The new one is pretty nice I'm going to wait until march and demo it I might buy it during pro days if I decide on one. All my equipment has came from Lh jones they treat me alot better than pass has.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't take this the wrong way , but why would you haul a 24ft trailer with two extreamly small mowers that would easily fit on. A 12 feet trailer. What do you do with the other 12 feet of room? Waste of gas, waste of weight, waste of engine work for your trucks, I cannot see one benefit from running this long of rig without carrying 3 zero turns and having a huge tool bench up front
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

steve is trying to get everyone to buy the new stander lol , the new pro turn 460 is pritty nice to , i get all my snow removal stuff from them , plows, salt , spreaders etc. They are a unique group of guys , i run stihl small stuff so i deal with pass for some of that stuff. Steve said the new stander is good on hills so yes i am on that demo list as well , love the way they do demo's to , just let you take it for a few hours and use it , thats awesome , when i bought the john deere walk behind last year from middletown tractor they actually met with me blah blah , but was kinda a hassle still bought the mower though. I just like the way lh jones does there demos.

4. orinicklawncare

I've had some really bad experiences at pass I get all my handhelds at Middletown and getting ready to buy a mulch blower from highway equipment in Pittsburgh.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

Mulch blower , thats cool i have not seen anyone around here using one , does any of the other company's use them here yet? I was viewing pro turfs page the other day and saw the ones they use and i thought that would be a great service to offer around here , especially with all these hills to wheelborrrow up and down lol. One of my wants as well but its later on the list. Started your advertising yet for the spring?? Last week when we had that tease of spring i put out a few door hangers and post cards , i figure with all the snow last night etc , they probally just threw them away.

6. orinicklawncare

This is my third year and so far the only money I've spent on advertising is my truck signs and a couple yard signs for leaf cleanup. Most of my business is word of mouth or from meeting with property managers. I put in 12 large commercial bids I don't do much residential I have 2 smaller yards and everything else is an acre or more. With what I pay for my mulch and the material savings and labor savings it will pay for itself will sure beat 5 gallon buckets up and down hills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. rlmlandscape

rlmlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd would say go with a 60" ztr and a 36" walk behind. This is the way my cousin does it and maintains 200 lawns a week. One lawn crew goes out with one 60" ztr and one 36" walk behind. The other crew runs two ztr's and one walk behind. Seem to work very well for him and he does everything from small lots up to acre and up lots.

8. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

yea i think the mulch blower is a great idea , you will do well with that , advertising for me , yea word of mouth is the best for some reason i feel compelled every spring to go out and do door hangers and send post cards etc , honestly i don't know why i do it or even if it works so well , word of mouth is definatly the best, like they say its not what you know but who you know. It is definatly that way around morgantown .

9. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

ok i am kinda doing that now , 60 zero turn 52 walk behind , 30 push mower. Or a 60 and a 72 zero turn. My biggest problem is the back tracking through areas to get the small accounts that we cannot get the box trailer into , would be nice to do them with the rest of the lawns. This seems to be my least favorite day. So just wanted to see what everyone else was doing thanks ,

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I find I can go pretty much anywhere with my setup. The 54 and 52 are on the trailer and I ramp the 36 into the bed. I only do this one day a week so no big deal but it allows me to not have to backtrack and waste fuel and time.