What is the best blade angle?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Mar 9, 2002.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fixed deck eXmark that I have to raise and lower the front end of the deck to change the blade height. I was wondering what this does as it changes the angle of the blade. Also what is best - even, front tip lower or the rear tip lower?

Thanks,

Ed

2. Called "rake"

As long as the front of the blade is lower than the back you are in good shape.

These mowers were designed this way, so there is not much adj. for them.

3. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I agree, the front lower than the rear will provide a better cut.

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

You're best to set your blade spacers high, so you can cut level if the grass is long. Then when you swap around the castor spacers to cut lower you will have your rake action and get a good cut.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The front lower by 1/4" - 1/2" will give you the best stripe I've found.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hot rod father is all about the 1/4. I mean gettin down the strip. Stripe. Oh well. :D

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If the front is not lower than the back you cut the grass twice. This takes more power and does not give a good cut. Rake is very important to quality of cut as is blade speed to ground speed (clip rate) and of course blade sharpess. Rake should be no less than a 1/4" and no more than 3/4". Mower manufactures design there decks this way to cut best. But they must be adjusted from time to time. Most of time we are more worried about right to left level or height adjustments of the deck. But if your deck is lower in the back you will over work your mower and wear it out quicker. Unlike Blue Grass, St. Augustine is very forgiving of decks that are a litte out of level. Walker are easy to adjust with use of different thickness washers. But measure to the blades and not the deck.