1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best book for lawn care?...More specifically organic lawn care.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TMGL&L, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I'm wondering what books I should look for that will give me the best information I can get about lawn care. Organic lawn care is what I'm most interested in, not necessarily running a lawn care business.

Either way, if anyone could post links to their favorite books or give me some recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

You should PM "phasthound" (lawnsite member) -- he know's his stuff, and I consider him an expert regarding organic products. (Tech-Terra Organics). He's a great guy and will be able to steer you in the right direction.
  3. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

let us know what you find out. I am interested also.
  4. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

...will do, I sent him a pm today. Didn't get anything yet.

Either way, I don't want to get myself a big thick encyclopedia of grasses. I'm looking for reading material that I can educate myself during my down time
  5. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

go to the organic thread and search just in that section. I did that before and saw about 5 that were refered to alot. I can not remember which ones they were. I will check back and let you know.
  6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm out of town & away from my library so I don't have the titles. Paul Sachs and Paul Tukey have both written good books on organic lawn care.
    The first Paul's book is for professionals & the other is for homeowners. NOFA CT has a good hand book on organic lawn care. Grassroots Environmental education has a good 2 DVD set on lawn care. A must read for anyone who wants to understand how plants, soils and microbes work together to provide healthy plants should read Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfells.

When you are looking for good products for healthy lawns, check our website.
  7. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input...My professor also recommended Teaming With Microbes too.

I visited a few of Paul Tukey's websites and bought Teaming with Microbes from amazon today.