What is the best day of the week to mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Jul 6, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I do a couple lawns each day (2-3) and I have come to the conclusion that mowing them all in one day is probably a good idea. One of which is because I can clean the mower once a week and not have to do it every single day like I am now. My truck will only get dirty one day of the week (unless I am doing landscape work) and if it rains out it will most likely miss the day I mow on. So what do you guys think is the best day? I was thinking Sat. but then I might wake people up if I start early, and if it rains Sat. then I will have to do my lawns on Sunday which some people don't like. I think Friday might be a good day because some of my customers demand that it be done on either Thursday or Friday for the weekend.

What do you guys think?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If we only had one day of mowing, I would pick Thursday to be the mowing day. Still close enough to the weekend that the customers will be happy that their lawn looks good for the weekend. If it rains, Friday can be used as the make up day, then you'll have the weekend off.

3. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I wouldn't have thought of this, but that's a very good idea!

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

LawnBoy,I like your Idea but,why not split it into 2 days Thursday & Friday. It would give you a little extra "play" if you will with the lawns. Ok say you want to stay close to home the lawns you have close to home could be none on a Friday rather than Thursday. Just a suggestion take it for what it's worth. But, all in all your idea could work for guys with smaller routes.

Rob

5. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone who works a normal job and has lawn service seems to want it done on Friday. I would do it on Thursday and use Friday for a rain day or overlap.

If it rains on Friday too then do it Saturday morning. I personally don't have a customer that would complain of a Saturday cut if they knew it was raining on Thursday and Friday. Another option is if the ground is good and you have equipment that can handle it is to cut in the rain. Not always preferred but sometimes necessary.

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

You tell me what days are the best to mow. We mow 7 days a week. :)

7. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I plan on seven too. The money cash, the better! payup

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

What is the best day of the week to mow?

The sunny 70-degree day of course. :p Now if its one day a week pick Thursday gives you Friday as a rain day.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I pick monday because then I would always have a 6 day weekend :p

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

What 1MajorTom said................ :D