1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best engines to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

What is the best engine to buy for a riding lawn mower at a good price.

For example:
    Brigg & strattion
  2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

What type of riding mower? I never had much success with Briggs. I run Kawasaki's on my walkbehinds with few problems. On our ZTRs we run Kawasakis and Kohlers. As far as a good price for the motor check with a catalog company. Ordering one through your local dealer will run you. The cost will vary depending on what type of motor and the horse power.
  3. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

kawasaki and honda have the market as far as performance, briggs and stratton and kohler are more affordable. depends on how much you want. personally, spend a little more now, save a lot more later.
  4. careco

careco LawnSite Member

Best engine for the money is a Kubota gas or diesel! Got a gas in a Grasshopper with the Kubota gas and over 4,000 hrs, and still going strong and don't use any oil ! Got 618 Grasshopper with Kohler OVC 18 hp and hate the engine ! Love the Hopper Take Briggs over Kohler any day! That's my 2 cents for what that's worth! RFO's CARECO
  5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

kawasaki and honda hands down the best engines on the market.
  6. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

Hey Careco,
    You say you don't like the engine in your 618. What else do you not like, or is that about it. I'm am looking at purchasing one and would appreciate it if I could get a heads up before I possibly make a $7500 mistake. Thanks.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The question is kind of vague. What kind of mower are you talking about?
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my fav are Kawasaski & Kohler

I just seem to have a lot of problems with Briggs
  9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I ditto that!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE BOTH OF EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg
  10. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I run a Kawi 19 hp, and love it. They also don't bicker. I knew a couple of guys that blew there motors under 25 hrs. They put a new one on and didn't say a word about it.