1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the Best grass for low light and heavy dog traffic

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lawn rangers of texas, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Lawn rangers of texas

Lawn rangers of texas LawnSite Member

What is the Best grass for low light and heavy dog traffic.I live in Dallas Texas.

Thanks

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Artificial Turf:confused: I dont think there is a grass that can stand up to low light and dogs. Good luck man. Try selling on ground cover or mulch the area.

3. Ted Bell

Ted Bell LawnSite Member

You need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight for grasses for our area (Bermuda or St. Augustine).

Otherwise, go with a ground cover.

4. Lawn rangers of texas

What about buffalo grass? I heard it was very strong.If I trim the trees it might give me the light i need.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You are going to have dirt no matter what you do unless you get rid of the trees and keep the animals off your yard.

St. Augustine will not tolerate heavy foot traffic and Bermuda does not care for dogs at all!

I don't know jack squat about Buffalo grass.

Walk your dogs at a dog park and clean up after them. Otherwise quit trying to have a decent stand of turf.

6. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

7. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

not good in shade. Sorry man.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ignore everyone else. your only option for dallas shade grass is going to be fescue.

heavy dog traffic will not be the best, but it can withstand some. mow it lower and let it tiller better to become dense.

9. Lawn rangers of texas

It's not my yard I am doing It is for one of my regulars. I there something I should put down and till in before I lay? And what is the best time of the year to do this?

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

The newer Bermuda named Celabration is great for recovering from injury and is the best shade tolarant of all the Bermudas I know of. But having said that, like others have stated, low light and dogs make for a lawn killer. If the dogs just run a path around the fence then you can build a dog run and then resod the rest of the areas. I know this sounds like bad news but there is not a grass that can stand up to this type situation.