1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best home-made way to balance a blade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best home-made way to balance a blade? And the most accurate....?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Put a nail in the wall and hang your blade horizontally. Whichever direction it drops is the heavy side. It's as simple as that. Hope this helps.
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Or better yet you could spend $2.50 on a plastic blade balancer like I did! It ain.t rocket science.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard hanging it on a nail is proballly the WORST way to check for balance. I use the plastic cone type and it seems to work well. I am going to try Eric's way also. It sounds interesting.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

The best way: Get in your car, drive to the Home Cheapo and buy one for $2.50.
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I command my dog to sit, then tilt his head back and place it on his snout. Works for me! ;)

Could not resist...sorry!
    madmac likes this.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm... Interesting Scraper. But, if you had a Border Collie like I do you could just let him balance <i>and</i> sharpen the blades for you. :)
  9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I balanced my blades on a nail, a screwdriver, and the cone type balancer. I got them the best I could get them.

Then I made one out of a bearing like Eric said, then checked them. WOW what a deference. These blades were way out. The best balancer for the money.

Learned it here on Lawn Site. Thanks guys.

On the spindles for DC's they don't even have a keyway in them. My dealer says that it causes imbalance that shortens bearing life. If it is that critical on the center part of the blade, wouldn't it be made worse out on the end of a blade?
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Like Homer said go get a blade balencer...a metal one might set you back $ 3.00 it works well.