What is the best home owner walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NJgunner, Apr 5, 2010.

1. NJgunner

NJgunner LawnSite Member

Im looking for 36" or under walk behind for my house. Small piece, i am trying to find something decent used on craigslist but no luck. Ariens makes a 34" and Red Hawk a 36". I was told to stay away from Crap Cadets lol Doesnt anyone else make a good mower for homeowners? I dont need a 3k scag.

2. mhaley927

mhaley927 LawnSite Member

I was just thinking about this today... every walk behind I can think of with a deck bigger than 20" or so seems to be "commercial". I know a guy who swears by his red hawk. You could also try an exmark metro or viking, their "middle of the road" walk behinds in the 30-50 inch range. Or, if you're looking for something smaller I have a john deer LA65 that I used at home, and now for some smaller areas when I'm out. It has held up beautifully and cuts very well. Good Luck with this thread, I'll have to check back later.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Red hawk is a Chinese mower. I'd avoid it.

4. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Just scroll up about 8" and to the right about 4" and click on the word "better"

5. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I love my bradley. I have the 48" hydro with 18hp honda gxv610. I left more info in your other post about it. I have not had a single problem as of yet and have put a pretty good number of hours on it. Has a pretty cut, and pulls me around on my sulky great. I use it everyday on my accounts. I heard bad things about it as well, but I can't complain a bit.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Brady is a Chinese mower too. I'd avoid it.

7. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased s new Scag SW 36 Advantage last year.... great mower... amazing cut... quality product... last mower you would ever need to purchase.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. KarlP

KarlP LawnSite Member
    from MA

9. gj91

gj91 LawnSite Member

I just went though this. I found a good mower shop by me that had a few used Exmark 48 hydros and is an exmark dealer. It has 1000 hrs and in good shape. For what I will use it for it will probably last a long time. I was looking for a 36 but it seemed that there are a lot more 48's out there. I don't have a fence so a 36 wasn't a must.

Exmark does have a 26 commercial mower that looks nice. They had one where I bought my 48.

I did call around and found a new Wright WB 36 with hydro and floating deck for close to $4k but that was a bit much for me. I think this was just over invoice.

10. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member