What is the Best Mower for me? Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Dec 15, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Well some of you know that I was about to move to Atlanta this summer, but my girlfriend has decided to move back to Houston to be closer to her father, so it looks like I am Texas bound. I have found very little info about Houston since there seems to be more people here for Ga than Houston, so I would like your input. I have been to Houston but that was last year for the Super Bowl so I wasnt focused on landscaping.

From what I take it there are a lot of small , gated yards so I need something that will fit through small fences, but I really dont want to get a hydro 36", I would rather a ztr or maybe a stander. I guess some guys in Florida can relate to Houston since there are a lot of smaller size lawns with Gates also. Will be cutting a lot of st.augustine grass. Any input is welcome. thanks everyone I dont know what I would do with out this site sometimes and all of your help is appreicated. thanks

44" exmark hp
    36" wright stander
    36" gravely ztr
    36" dixie chopper ztr
    48" Cub Cadet ztr with the z wing that folds
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The best option I can see for you (from your list) is the 36" Wright stander. I would rather use the 36" Exmark hydro with a proslide in case you run into 32" gates since you can always lift up a side and muscle it through. Can't do that with the heavier machines.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

32", 36" or 42" stander is your best choices.
  4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I would say a stander as well. When you are working in tight areas with a Z you need to be careful not to take a fence out with the back of the z...

A stander would be nice since you can easily manuever and see right behind your feet...

Even a sulky can sometime get in the way when trying to turn in the corner of a fence....

I would assume you can step off a stander and walk behind it on hills if they were to steep but maybe not...
  5. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I am in North Houston and I find that a 36" won't fit most med/small residentials where I am. I just got a 32" stander and it's great. It fits the gates of all my accounts except for 2 of them.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

32" or 36" stander.
  7. SouthernYankee

who makes a 32" stander???
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Wright, I believe.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

i Can't Believe Guys are Recommending the 32" Stander w/out ever Using One...It's a New Model...Wait for some Feedback. No one has Ever Cut a Blade of Grass w/them. They Could Be and Likely Will be a Rutting Nightmare.

On Very Small Gated Lawns a Quality 21" is Usually your Best Option.

After that 36" Hydro Walk Floaters.....mabe the New Wright 36" w/Wider tires but Stay Away from Tiny Riders.

10. SouthernYankee

what about rutting problems with the standers that are 36"?

I was thinking about that cub cadet z wing that fits in gates