1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best mower out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, May 13, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

Being in Michigan there are not a ton of choices. Our main choices are:
    John Deere
    Cub Cadet

I'm looking at getting a Z very soon. We have Toro now and they seem to work good, but I've heard horror stories of Toro's new Z's this year. Like bad motors, two clutches go out in one week, etc.

So my question is what is the best mower I could buy, that has a good bagging system, good motor, and just overall a great piece of machinery.

I want to get a 54 or 60 inch deck with a bagging system.

Anyone have any opinion? And if you recently bought something like what I am looking for what did you pay for it?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You'll never get any agreement on that question but if your lucky you might get some good advice mixed in with the answers. Most brands use the same engines, clutches, wheel motors, and pumps so I wouldn't worry about horror story's. Toro is as top notch as any. Lots of good brands, get a dealer you can trust and top notch support.
  3. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Best Mower? I would say Hustler. Ferris is pretty good too though. But as neither of these are your listed choices, probably the exmark. I'm not in the market for a new ztr so I don't know much about this years toro offering. I do use a 2003 toro wb and its very solid.
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, I would have to agree with tacoma. We all have our preferences, but the big thing is who is going to get you back in the field working if seomthing goes down. What dealers are near you? Who is known to get the work done fast and do a good job? Who is known to give you a loaner machine while your machine is being worked on? I think that dealer suport far out weighs which mower to buy. With that said we love Exmark.:)
  5. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

This guy here knows what he is talking about :laugh: ,There are many companies that make good products but if Hustler would make regional deck's,a little bigger wheel motors, and offer bigger power plants plus bigger wheels all around the competition would be in trouble because how good the company is but there are alot of good choices just some machines are more productive, ride better, easier and cheaper to fix, plus more durable than others.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea if Hustler did that they would be a force to be reckoned with.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I love that. If only the motor were more powerful, and went faster and has bigger tires, sheesh, the super Z has 24x12x12 tires, they can't get much bigger, ( 24x13x12 ultra trac's's or 26x14x12 ultra trac's's are the biggest out there right now anyway ). and at 15 mph how much more speed do you need? I agree that hustler is one of the best out there, and kubota might be better. but neither are on your list.

TO Answer your question- Exmark has been making ztr's the longest out af anyone on your list, and probably will give you the best reliability. If you have a good dealer with a good service department, I'd go for that one. If not, go with the dealer that you feel will take care of you ON SERVICE. good luck.
  8. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, I've heard the exmark's are great, but the local john deere/exmark dealer is a place that people around here avoid at all costs. The type of people that when you walk in don't even see you or give excuses why they can't help you right now. And the local toro dealer is always so busy that it takes them forever to get work done. I'm leaning towards Toro still, but just hate the fact that if something breaks and I can't fix it or if it needs to be fixed under warranty that it will take a few days if not longer...
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you can, demo an EverRide Worrior with 27 HP.
  10. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Your full of crap buddy, my Lazer z 60 is nowhere near the design of a Hustler super. The mule drive for the motor sucks! The drive for the pumps SUCKS! the linkage for the control sticks sucks! other than that it is good but not a Hustler for where I am cutting.

24x12 are limited in traction especially if you are going to use a 72" cut, I looked at a new kabota in 2006 WAS NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL! The airport here were I am at used to use all kabota's and swithed to Hustler just talk to them about the diffrence in reliabilty NO COMPARISON!