1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best Nutsedge product-cool season grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Aug 27, 2014.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use T-Zone for spot spraying nutsedge. Looking at trying Prosedge. Price is not an option, because I only have around 20 lawns with small areas and will only need a few gallons of product.

1. Is there an product that will PREVENT nutsedge?

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've had very good luck with sedge hammer. Knocks it out in one app, any time of year for the most part. Needs a surfactant.
    I don't deal with much nutsedge, so I buy the one gallon packs of soluable granules.

3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Solitaire is great but I wouldn't buy it specifically for sedge due to cost because there are less expensive products for treating just sedge. If you're spraying for other things and want to treat the nutsedge too, then it's great. Company claims that over a few seasons of spraying this it "prevents" it from returning.

Around the 2:14 mark of this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu50-41dPKw

4. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

Dismiss or pro sedge work great..nothing will ever prevent nutsedge nor will you ever get rid of it...think of it as job security
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your replies!

I will buy a few 1 gallon packets of Pro-Sedge. My supplier does not carry Solitaire.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If no product will completely eliminate yellow nutsedge, then why spend money on higher priced products like Dismiss or Sedgehammer? May as well use TZone or similar to just 'burn down' the top growth each year.

7. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

It will kill the vegetative or top growth but nothing kills the nutlets which will keep producing new plants...t zone or surge will suppress turning it colors then it will come roaring back....I'm saying you'll never get rid of nutsedge completely. It will come back every summer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Dismiss is the most effective product I have found. Add some LI-700 too.

9. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I used Dissmiss this year and have be very pleased. I used it once as a pre for nutsedge in a ball field with great results

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

We have had a lot of rain here this year. Weeds have been extremely persistent because of it. Especially ones that love wet conditions(Nutgrass, various sedges and Virginia Buttonweed) We have rotated products this year. R-2 we used Certainty, R-3 we used Sedgehammer and now R-4 we have been using Basagran T/O. I have never used Basagran before this season and I have to say, I have been impressed. It has pretty much wiped out all sedges we have sprayed. The label says it will not control Purple nutsedge but we see very little of that. Yellow Nutsedge, Globe sedge, Kylinga...smoked!

May be "old school", but it works...

Side note:
    I've lost several "Partial Program" customers due to the extreme weed pressure this year. It seems they thought they could be "cheap" and still have a lawn that looked pretty much like a Full Program customers lawn...WRONG-O...not this year.

Suits me fine...