1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best oil for 32:1?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Dec 9, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have been beating around on the subject in this forum for a while, I have not really get the answer. I might as well come right out and say, I am going to use about 32:1 in oil ratio no matter what!!!! I am old and I am stubborn.:eek:

No use of beating around the bush!!! Given that, any suggestion of oil that work best at 32:1?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Use any oil you want, you can't be using that much judging by the amount of times you have asked "what kind of 2 cycle oil"

Echo or Stihl or even Lawn Boy would be fine just buy some and use it.

3. yungman

from Calif.

I have Stihl Ultra, Amsoil Sabor, Shindaiwa One and some Echo Power Blend. I can use anyone?:confused:
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

They're all pretty much the same thing- if it's marked for use in air cooled 2 cycle engines it'll work for you.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Remember, if the fuel mix is too rich for the oil/engine combination, you will create problems for yourself -- clogged exhaust, fouled plugs, clogged muffler, or ??? Your attempts at being generous with the oil may cause you more problems than you expect.
  6. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Roger
    What is oil/engine combination do you mean? As for my case I specificly ask this question for my Shindaiwa EB3410 blower with 34cc C4 4 stroke. Is that what you mean about specific engine?

I cannot see the piston and rings because it is a 4 stroke and can't see too much even removing the muffler, I believe the carb is the same case. The only thing I can is pull the plug out. The plug absolutely looks great!!! Medium brownish, not light color that indicate high temperature or black carbon deposit that indicate too rich.

Can anyone educate me for my caseFor 32:1, Do I look for higher flash point or lower flash point oil?. May this will be easier for me to look up the data. Is synthetic oil like Stihl Ultra leave less deposit at 32:1?

I know a lot of people are not happy I keep asking. Please just bare with me a little longer.*trucewhiteflag*

7. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

As long as your oil is JASO FD certified for todays 2 cycles it don't matter what brand.
  8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is such a big headache for you to select an oil, use whatever Shindaiwa recommends at the ratio they recommend...
    Two strokes oils are designed to work best at a specific ratio (usually 50:1) and there is no benefit to run at higher ratio.
    Running significantly lower or higher ratios will create problems over time and increase the maintenance.
    Oil is put in the gas for one reason only: lubrication
    The down sides being that oil reduce the efficiency and doesn't burn clean, leaving some deposit in the engine.
    In a two strokes engine, deposit will accumulate at the exhaust port and muffler need to be removed to clean it.
    In a four strokes engine, deposits will accumulate at the exhaust valve port and maintenance becomes more complicated (too much deposit will result in engine failure).
    If you want the best for your engine, use Amsoil oils at the recommended ratio (100:1 or 80:1 if you want to run a little cooler)
    But hey, do what ever want, just don't come back complaining about your engines in a few months from now :cry::nono:
  9. twocycledoctor

twocycledoctor LawnSite Member

intermix by J-Thomas is universal for all oil to gas ratios
  10. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

why use more oil than they spec out?? bad for the equipment/ wastes money/ bad for the environment/ and can vooid your warranty... being old and stubborn is one thing being wasteful and stupid is another...sorry pal but using 32:1 when they say 50:1 isnt smart!!! more isn't always better!!!!