What Is The Best Price For A Ferris IS-3100Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by p7m8hk, May 25, 2006.

1. p7m8hk

p7m8hk LawnSite Member

What would be considered a "good" deal on a Ferris IS3100Z w/ a 61" deck and 30 hp Kohler? The local dealer is kinda stuck at $8900.00?

2. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't sell that unit for less than $9400.00 up here.

3. jlcjdgc

jlcjdgc LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I paid 9300.00, I'm thinking about another one.

4. perfectlawncare

perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

Save your money and buy the new Hustler super Z with the flex forks. It rides better than the Ferris and holds hills better. All for $8400 60 inch or 66 30hp

5. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Seems like a good price from here.

This week I had demo time on a Ferris IS3000... last year's model, no rops, 27hp Kohler, 61" deck...$9100+tax. There was 2 tenths of an hour on the machine. The dealer bought several to beat the rops thing for this year.

By comparison, a 2006 model IS3100 with a 32hp and 61" deck is $9995 + tax.

The 3000 was the most comfortable machine I've ever driven. Sure beats my Turf Tiger for ride quality. It was really great! However, it's the worst quality of cut I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. The deck shifts with the suspension, and went anywhere from flat out scalping coming across - then up hills, to good sized dips in the grass on the discharge side when going around corners/radiuses at any speed other than a baby's crawl. Out in the open making long runs back and forth on flat turf, it was fine.

EDIT: I'll second the lack of holding hills. I did some work in a basin. I demoed an eXmark HP 27/56 deck and it stuck like glue to the walls. I had to bail out with the Ferris, come around and go straight up. I was very uncomfortable.

Just not my cup of tea I guess.

I'm very curious as to what the flex fork would do on a Scag or eXmark with the suspension seat. IIRC, the Hustler rep said they were working on it to retrofit other manufacturers?

A

6. p7m8hk

p7m8hk LawnSite Member

Do the flex forks on the hustler affect the cut quality?

7. perfectlawncare

perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

No not at all. You will love the flex forks.

8. COLLINSVILLE

COLLINSVILLE LawnSite Member
    from CT

Are you crazy? Have you ever used a ferris? How can you say it rides better? It has no rear suspension and only allows the front tires to move up and drop the deck closer to the ground.

9. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

to answer your question i believe the 8900 is a real good price b/c i called my dealer to price out an is2000 w/ 61" deck and it came out to about 8200.

my is1500's deck is fixed to the frame so it doesnt have the problem w/ it moving w/ the suspension, so my quality of cut is pretty amazing. my only suggestion is to tighten up the preload on the springs so you dont get the flex out of it.

10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

^^ I like the way my 1500 cuts too. Even with uneven ground looks very nice.