What is the best push fert. spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deltascapes, Mar 13, 2008.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

All I have ever used is spyker for the past 12 years anything better?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I want to say a Lesco 80# capacity....but I hold my breath.
    I haven't bought any new ones since before they were 'eaten by a Deere'.

I'm sort of afraid at some point they're going to further "cheapify" the Lesco stainless steel speader, bringing in more parts in from Asia or wherever.

Equipment wise...that's about the only thing left in their stores worth looking at now.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rumor has said that the new Lesco spreader will be made in Asia. Cub Kadette (MTD) was sold the rights and manufactures the Lesco spreader. The Cub Kadette version has a yellow hopper. They are great spreaders.

I prefer the Andersen, (formerly made by Scotts). It has the patented "Helical Cone" pattern adjustment. It avoids streaks of light green.

Make sure it is all stainless steel. There is an advantage--I think--of one big opening at the bottom of the hopper, (Andersen and Lesco still use three small holes). If you have to lift it--make sure it weighs less than 35 pounds. A lifting handle on the side is better. An easy way to chain it down for transport and lock it during lunch is important.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've used spyker, scotts, earthway, agrico, lesco, and a few others as well. I like the lesco the best, but they were already starting to make them cheaper. My SS that I bought about 4 yrs ago started rusting. Looks like they were using a cheaper grade of SS back then.

5. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

I prefer the Andersen, (formerly made by Scotts). It has the patented "Helical Cone" pattern adjustment. It avoids streaks of light green.

Make sure it is all stainless steel. There is an advantage--I think--of one big opening at the bottom of the hopper, (Andersen and Lesco still use three small holes). If you have to lift it--make sure it weighs less than 35 pounds. A lifting handle on the side is better. An easy way to chain it down for transport and lock it during lunch is important.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

6. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

I always thought that was kind of like asking which is the best full size truck...

Perssonally, however, I like sypkers for the distribution and adjustments.

GC

7. jlawnservice

jlawnservice LawnSite Member

go andersons

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've found the "one-holer" spreaders to be less accurate, calibration-wise, than the "3-holers" like the Lesco and Scotts.
    They give a much wider pattern, too.

I suspect that some of the folks who prefer the one-opening spreaders could be either using them for sidewalk melt too (which makes sense), and/or are using cheaper grade SCU ferts, (or worse...all chemical ferts) that "melt" easier and clump up in the holes, and/or have thrown out their spreader screens...or have never used one.

I have one Cyclone spreader, a "one-holer", that I reserve exclusively for the work I do with penn mulch and/or seed started mulch during the fall seeding period.
    I've found that stuff simply won't come out of any "3-holer".

9. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i like the way the spyker speader is on my z spray it has a very good patter better then the lesco

10. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

I like the single opening of the spyker spreaders also, the only issue I ever have is replacing cables and then also if the teeth on the adjustable comb under the opening get gummed up during humid weather, it can affect the distribution of the product.

GC