What is the best residential mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GG Green, May 10, 2007.

1. GG Green

GG Green LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a 21" self propelled residential mower as I have clients with small properties and small gates and was wondering what is the best make and model out there that have been proven to be a good mulcher and bagger.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The best residental 21" would be a commercial 21" IMO.

I use a Lawn Boy with the 2-stroke Suzuki engine, it's about 4 or 5 years old and still runs great. But I RARELY use it.

Day in and day out use, you probably will need to spend 800-1000 bucks to get a 21" that will hold up to continuous use.

I'd rather use a 36" though for gated properties and smaller yards.
  3. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Actually i was thinking of this earlier as well. Was doing a severely sloped area earlier (over 45 degrees in areas) and the motor was sputtering (didn't sound like a lack of oil issue, seemed more like it was sucking partly air with the fuel even though the tank was nearly full). That was with my lawn boy. Its still to new to say how well it will hold up, but I'm not impressed. Cuts good but can't handle hills very well, and that is the main thing i have it for. Had a Toro previously, pretty nice mower. Had a little problems with the self propelled and the wheels where definitely cheap. Had to cannibalize a magneto for it but otherwise it still runs, have it as a backup. Had 2 craftsmans before that. One was junk, the other was the best mower I've owned. Beat the tar out of it and it never let me down till a helper finally killed it after a few years of severe abuse :hammerhead:

Of the 3, I'd probably go with a Toro for my next mower. Interested to see what you guys have experienced though.
  4. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn boy is probably the best but cost is through the roof. I use to use a Snapper High vac.....Excellent machine
  5. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

I use a Cub Cadet SRC-621...that thing has taken a beating so far this season and besides the plastic hardware its held up nicely....i love the caster wheels-they make it so easy to get around tight areas...
  6. SongBird LawnCare

SongBird LawnCare LawnSite Member

honda hrx series mowers.

2 blades.. excellent for mulching.. excellent in general.

the transmission is beautiful. PERFECTLY placed..

you have to check it out.

Home Depot - $650

they have models that are $550, $450 and then $750, $850.. roughly..

get the $650 or up..

7. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

If you just lookin for a residental self-propelled mower with a 21" deck you could just buy a craftsman
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The absolute best residential mower is the Toro Proline model 30197 :laugh:
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am a Honda guy but our 6 year old unit will not mulch...so the new ones are good in tall grass? I only use Honda in bagging situations and on steep slopes where you need the two wheel drive...on flat land it is hard to turn thus not a very good trim mower.
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

That's the best of the best. But I don't do much bagging, so like Allen's Lawncare above, my Snapper HiVac mulches and discharges excellent, and bags once in awhile. The Toro Proline has a prettier cut, no doubt about that, and the blade clutch would be nice.