What is the best size trailer to start with

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 11, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what the best size trailer is to start out with. I have a ram 1500.
    It seems like a good sized truck; much larger than an s10 or ranger or something. A 5x6 doesn't look big enough to haul much more than a 36wb is it? I would like something that would fit a 36-48 in wb or Z and also one 21 in. Would a 4x6 or 5x6 do this or would I need a 6x8 or larger? Also, do u guys have to move these much when u are in small subdivisions where the driveways are right next to each other, so that people and postmen can get through? And how much is it for those racks that secure your trimmer/s? And do they really protect them or lock them in or would they still be prone to get stolen? I'm looking for something under $700 so I may have to find a used one. If anyone has one for sale in the Indiana area I'd like to know, if it's a good price and in good shape.

2. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

It really all depends on how far you wanna go with you biz. you can start out with a 5x6 or what ever but that will maybe hold one mower and you need to check the weight rating as far as carrying a zero turn cause i know mine weigh around 1500 to 1600 each. I would start out with at least a 7x12 or 14 that way you can have more than one mower on you trailer and the extra room comes in really handy if you need to haul off any debris.

3. oak1787

oak1787 LawnSite Member

I have a 6x10 works great...

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I started 6 X 12. Thought it would be tons! Now I have a 6.5 X 16 and wish I had a 6.5 by 18 or 20 for 2 z's and a walk behind. Go big or go home.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Get the bigest you can afford.....

dont be like me and a few others, you will out grow it in a few short months.
    I started with a 5 x 10, with-in 3 weeks I needed a 6 x 12,

this is one of the 1st mistakes we as LCO's make...

read the post at the top of the page.... tips do's and donts for the new guy

6. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think a 5X10 or a 5X12 will be big enough for you to start out with. I have a 5X12 and I carry my 52" Ferris WB, 36" Ferris WB and my 21" on my trailer. I also built a shelf that I carry my wheelbarrow, gas cans and a grass gobbler. I added racks for my blower, weed wackers and rakes and shovels. I also put a large tool chest on the tongue. The nice thing about the 5' wide trailer is that I can fit down small alleys and can park it easier.

I recommend the racks. I had my weedwacker, blower and some other misc stuff stolen last year. At that time I didn't have any racks and was unable to secure my stuff. Now I can lock my equipment on the trailer. It is much safer.

7. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

So if all I can afford is a 6x8 I should quit? Or what do u mean "Go big or go home"? I've done pretty well with my 21 and no trailer thus far. And the only time I went home was when the jobs were done and I was paid:laugh:

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 6.5x12, it is PERFECT for one 50" ZTR, one 33" WB and one 21". I will probably add a 16' or 18' in a couple years, but keep the 12' for landscaping and fertilizing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a 6x12 and it fits my mowing needs. That is the smallest I recommend.
    I need to get a dump trailer, too.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Come-onnnn..... you just posted about a walkbehind......

make up your mind dude.......