What is the best spray to kill weeds to prepare the lawn.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yungman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have weeds in my back yard. I have not done any landscapping yet and I am planning to do it in a month or two. What is the best spray to kill off weeds? I use the RoundUp concentrate and it don't seems to work very well. Takes 2 times before it start to wilt, and very slow at that. Last time, I just till the soil, but the weeds came right back.
    Thanks

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe try skipping the Roundup and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get the bottles of Glysophate. Not totally sure, try to find someone (gardening section) that knows what they are talking about.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, to follow up on BGLC...glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup Pro.

But there are bucco active ingredient %'s you can buy Roundup-type products in these days...from the 50% concentration (that ranchers use) all the way down to 4% and 5% dilution rates.

The standard for Roundup Pro is 41% glyphosate; with the word "Pro" meaning that the glyphosate has a surfactant already mixed in with it.
    From there...the typical mix rates usually range from 2 to 5 oz / gallon water.

Is your part of California especially cool right now, or during the time you sprayed ?
    Glyphosate's rate of translocation is greatly slowed when the plant's rate of growth is slowed...and /or cool weather sets in.

Roundup Pro may kill the weeds that are there now...but it won't 'prevent' future weeds.
    Do you have another product in mind to use as a 'pre-emergent' for this same landscape area?

Generally, what kind of plants are in this landscape ?

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Thanks for the info, I'll go and look for it. I don't worry about new growth, just want to get rit of the existing ones. I'll spray them if they dare to show up again to teach them a leason!!:laugh: I'll till the land when I am ready to landscape the yard.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, yungman, if you don't want to mess around with applying any 'pre-emergent' herbicides, just make sure you apply a satisfactorily thick layer of mulch to choke out the weeds...maybe 3" or so thick will do.

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

good info I knew glysophate was the active ingredient in roundup but I didnt know how much.

The bottles I saw were 41% glysophate anyhow I think is it pretty much the same difference then? ah well, good luck!

7. ironman206

ironman206 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Why not try spraying 2-4,D. It will kill the weeds (dicots) and leave the grass (monocots). Made to get remove weeds from the lawn, yet leave the grass. I've seen it work in as little time as hours when mixed and applied correctly.

8. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Roundup by itself can take up to 2 weeks before you see results on broadleaf weeds. Try mixing it together with 2,4-D to get a faster and more complete kill. Or you can mix in some Scythe or Reward to get results overnight, if you can get ahold of it anyway (I believe you need a pesticide license). One problem with glyphosate (Roundup) is that if you have hard water the glyphosate molecules bind up with the minerals and it loses it's effectiveness very quickly, sometimes within minutes. You can get a test kit for your water and if necessary you should be able to get some water softener at a farm store. Also if the leaves of the weeds you are trying to kill are dusty it will reduce the effectiveness of Roundup. Hope this helps.

9. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I suppose I should ask what you are trying to achieve, do you want to kill off the whole yard and replant it? Or are you just trying to kill the weeds? If the latter, don't use Roundup, see if you can find a three-way broadleaf killer with 2,4-D, MCPA, and Triclopyr. This mix works well on most lawn weeds, although again you may need a pesticide license to get it.

10. ironman206

ironman206 LawnSite Member
    from NY

before you start mixing chemicals, be sure to read the label. Some chemicals can not be mixed with others. You could be seriously injured if you mix chemicals together that can't mix and you get a reaction. If you want to keep the grass go with straight 2-4,D, if you want nothing, you need to get straight Roundup. Follow the labels and what they say, and you should get the result your looking for. At times it may require a second application.