what is the best stand on mower out there

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bflograssman, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

The word from Scag is that they were designed only as a stand-on (no GrandStand-style flip-up platform to convert to a walk-behind)

2. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

how's wright sentar (with the seat) compare to stand-ons and ztrs?

3. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

So I assume the exmark will have the same faults?

And scags flip up platform only flips up the back 1/4 of the platform, so if your loading and want it shorter and out of the way, then when your mowing you can flip it down for ride comfort.

4. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

The sentar is kind of stuck in between and stander and a ztr. It has flip up seat. but when it's flipped up the machine is very uncomfortable to ride because the seat is in the way. I personally don't care for the sentars. But I love the standers.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sentars were very nice to use, although your but will get sore from straddling the seat. the older ones had serious issues so never purchase one that is any older than about 2 years. dont even get me started on that.

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I demoed the V-ride a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with it. I much prefer the height adjustment system of the Scag over the Toro. The Scag was simply built more heavy duty. I also like the fact that the deck was separate from the engine. I don't know how that will affect the belt wear and that may be a negative but it may not make a difference at all.

I also preferred the Scag operator suspension system over the Toro in that it was made of steel springs rather than rubber bumpers. Those rubbers are going to wear out and render themselves useless over time.

There were a couple of negatives with the Scag though. For one it was the heaviest - not by a lot but every little bit counts. There was a weight on the front and a better designed system would have eliminated the need for the weight. I imagine that they were restricted by other patents though. Also, the rear tires are 10.5 inches wide rather than the traditional 10". It is very hard to find the same tires. They are made by Kenda but even Kenda's website did not list them. You could put the 10" tires on it but wider is almost always better.

The last thing that I did not like is that you could not get off of the machine unless you 1. Turned the blades off. 2. Placed the hydros in neutral. 3. engaged the parking brake. If you do not do those three things in that order, the engine will cut off. Well, that is very good from a safety perspective but there are times when I really need to get off of the back and help it along in wet conditions. If you get stuck, it would be really handy to be able to operate the hydros and push the mower at the same time. That is not an option with the Scag though.

7. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Agree 100%. Love the Standers but, not crazy for those Sentars.

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

How fast will it take someone to figure out which wires to unhook or wire differently.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

interesting......

i have not found this to be true even slightly......i flip up the platform and walk behind it on hills that i'm uncomfortable standing on the unit.

i never flip it up when loading unless i need the extra space when i'm hauling my walkbehind edger which is twice a season.

10. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

I want to comment on how heavy built the Scag is. I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying this. The Grandstand has a bigger frame (size of the steel) and a lifetime warranty. Besides looking at the two in person just read the specs. The Toro is 866 lbs vs Scags 860 lbs. The Grandstand has more metal guards on it, otherwise the engine's, drives, etc.. are similar but the Toro does not have a 40 lb chunk of iron bolted to the front to hold it down. That weight difference went somewhere. From the overall size of the machines you would expect the Scag to weight more but it does not. I am not knocking Scag (buying two) but I do get tired hearing this from dealers and reading it on the board. The real difference between Scag, Toro, Wright, all good machine's, is in the design and operation of the units. The hard part is choosing which will work best in your mowing business.