1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best timing between Overseeding & Fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Chivas Regal, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Chivas Regal

Chivas Regal LawnSite Member

This is the first year that we are offering Overseeding and Fertilization programs. My question is what is the best timing for broadcast spreading seed and fertilizing? What is the order of operation? Can I spread seed AND fertilize at the same time? We will also be aerating. We have a bunch of customers where we mow, aerate, overseed and fertilize. I am basically wondering if I can do all of these things at one time, or do I need to (for example) mow, aerate & seed, and then wait a week or so to fertilize (or vice versa)?

Lastly, what is the best type of fertilizer to use this time of year (in Mid-Atlantic region)? For most of our customers, we are scheduled to fertilize in mid-September and again in Mid-October.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

By all means, provide all the services you mentioned in one stop, no need to spread them out. A fertilizer with a high phosphorus number is appropriate for this time of year.
    (My son lives in Arlington and works in Fairfax county - beautiful area, but a little too crowded and a little too expensive for me).