1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best tire for plowing?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Oct 6, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

I have used regulare M&S truck tires with relatively good success. An aggressive tread pattern helps alot.

Some All weather M&S radials aren't bad either.

I like the General Grabber MT myself. I have run them on my chevy trucks with great success.
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Tall and skinny isn't always best. I run 33 x 12.5" tires. Without ballast, I have trouble, but with it my truck is unstoppable. I found out I needed ballast the first time I plowed. I added 4 bags of salt between the wheel wells, and did MUCH better. That was my first season with the tires. The next year, I added sideboards to my truck. I also began carrying a snow blower, ramps, and a gas can along with the salt I need. The extra weight works wonders for traction. Oh, and the tires I have are Cooper Discoverer or Discovery. Basically an all terrain tread like a Goodyear Wrangler. They were on the truck when I bought it, and had a few hundred miles on them.

5. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Have a set of all season radials from General Tire on my 3/4 ton GMC and I've never had a problem. Quite surprised about it truthfully.
  6. Alan

Alan Member

We've tried several brands of tires, settled on Cooper "Weathermaster" as the absolute best snow traction tire on the market. And not terribly pricey either, I just bought 4 235/75-15 and 4 265/75-16 LT for under $600 mounted and balanced. The Coopers will out push Hakkapelita (sp) and Hakkas get good marks for traction.

If you're in an area wher the is never much accumulation from previous storms you can probably get away with lesser tires, but up here where it may get to 2' sitting on the ground and hardening up, you need all you can get if you get off the beaten track.

[Edited by Alan on 10-06-2000 at 08:41 PM]
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

BJs, is where i get my truck tires. Uniroyal, they have a good tread, quite down the road, and long lasting.

8. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

I gotta agree with the cooper weather masters,there great.
  9. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I like the Firestone wilderness AT's preferably in 15 inch.
  10. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

We, too, like the Firestone products. They're especially helpful to our Fords when the snowplows won't drop; all you need to do is roll the vehicle over and the plow drops just fine. We call this dual mode plowing.