What is the best tree to plant for a barrier between neighbors?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eZrider, Aug 3, 2007.

1. eZrider

eZrider LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

To put it nicely I have some less than desirable neighbors who are hell bent on lowering property values. I need to plant something (preferably fast growing) to block the lovely view and noise.

Can someone suggest the fastest growing, most economical tree? Would Leyland Cypress be the best choice? Lenght of property line is 330'

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You could use a wood byproduct. I think it's called a fence!

3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest planting a Sweet Viburnum(Viburnum Odoraitissimum). It's not a tree but a shrub and has a fast growth rate. It will get wide(15') and tall(20')They are kind of hard to get up north of Macon but well worth the effort to find or drive down to south Ga to get. Technically, they are zone 8 to 10 but I planted a 3 gallon ( about 1.5 -2' in height) in 1999 or 2000 and it now is very tall and wide. See pics. I live anout 1.5 hours north of Macon so if you live in North Georgia it may not be well suited but it has survived each winter at my home.When I bought it, I did'nt know what it was. I got it at the farmers market for $1 because no one knew what it was.
    link below:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/V/viburn_o.cfm

viburnum1.jpg

virnum 2.jpg

vibunrum 3.jpg

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest planting a row of thuja green giants.

5. ralphieboy

ralphieboy LawnSite Member

I agree with thuja green giants,over the leylands,over the past few years the leylands have been having diease problems[leaf kanker and scale which kill the tree..green giants grow very wide and very tall ;watch for overhead wires;also consider things like sun and soil.hope this helps

6. eZrider

eZrider LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks, but I need something higher than a fence.

I have heard about the green giants. Any idea what I could expect to pay for these and how far apart they need to be planted?

The pics above are very impressive. That's the kind of cover I am looking for.

7. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

we sell Thuja Occidentalis (common around here for property lines/ fences) for 4-5' $59.99 5-6' $69.99 6-7' $79.99 and larger if needed price varys on how many you get.... thats average price around here i think

8. ralphieboy

ralphieboy LawnSite Member

green giants wholesale 3gallon $7.00 15gallon $40.00 give or take a few dollars, as far as planting goes about 8feet should do it

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Eleagnus is quite common around here as an alternative to the problematic 'leyland fence' that was so popular - they will get as big and wide as you let them get and are fast growing . Cryptomeria is also being used as an alternative , but I don't like the 'bronzing' that they go through each winter.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem, here is a pic of my new home still under construction and the neighbor. Im in western maryland cold winters, full sun. Would this shrub work for me?
    Mike

buford1.JPG

nh.JPG