What is the best truck for a lawn care business?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike payne, Feb 11, 2003.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

Last year I had a F150 with the 4.6 engine. It did not have enough power to get on the interstate when pulling a loaded trailler. This year I bought a F250 Lariet S.D. with a V10. I have a lot more power and my gas milage is about the same when I am pulling a trailler. I do not drive enough miles to warrent a diesel motor. What is your ideal truck?

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

My F-250 Diesel. I get great mileage loaded or unloaded and I will never again buy a gas burner. That V-10 must be killing you at the pump, especially right now.

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Bills right. While I run a dodge, I will never buy another gas powered truck. I get better fuel mileage; loaded or not, and the wear and tear on the diesel is not even close to that of a gas engine.

Unless you use your truck in a manner where the truck will wear out before the engine, I would buy a diesel, irregardless of how many miles I put on it. jmho:)

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

How big of a trailer did you pull? I pull a 7x16 with 4.5' mesh sides all the way around with a 5.5' ramp. Of course tandem axle. I pull this trailer with a F150 w/4.6 v8 with no problems. Just dont use o/d.

My ideal truck is probably f250 or f350 w/PS!!Yeah,baby!

5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

what has really been great about stepping up to a 3/4 ton is all the braking power I have. It will slow my trailer down no problem. The Diesel has unbelievable resell too.

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

snowplowing:D

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Greenman...you have the same engine I do....my gas mileage with no trailer is a whopping 9.5, worse with the trailer...what is your mpg?

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I could'nt have said it better, I will never buy a gasser either, even if its for touring the states, I had a 99 f-150, 4.6 and it was gutless, I sort of thought I had a lemon, but above stated it did'nt have much power.

9. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

I would have to say a Dodge Cummins is the best for mowing /towing trailers. The engine has plenty of power and the inline 6 cyl is usually more fuel efficient than the other diesels. :)

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Whoa! Are you sure about the mpg? That seems awful bad with no trailer. I get about 16 or 17 w/ no trlr and around 9 or 10 w/trlr. My trailer is very heavy. Want me to post a pic of the setup?