1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way for dealers to contact LCOs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Illini_Fan, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

Do you guys like direct mail, cold calls, newspaper ads, or what? How would you like us to contact you to earn your business. Blast away! :help:

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

One company by us has an open house every year. Basically has all of his equipment available for test. Everything from a DINGO down to a backpack blower. He even has the reps (Redmax/Echo, to name a few) their for any questions we might have.

IMO, its a great way of bringing us into his place. I get something in the mail every year stating its such and such a date. Of course whenever we are there he reminds us. This year he is bringing in a piece of equipment for us to 'demo' that day since we are interested in purchasing it in the upcoming month.

First time I went was last year...he earned my business from that day. I've since used him for some small equipment purchases, repairs, landscape products, etc. Just a suggestion.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the force......
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

either a phone call, or a postcard about your business would be good.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I like direct mail fliers. Kind of what exmark puts out
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Good direct mail is nice bottom line is this we are not normal customers we spend a lot at certain times of the year and nothing for long periods of the year. If you catch my eye when I am hungry for a new toy and have already decided on buying one then you may score. But if you get me when I am not in need of new equipment your advertisement will be falling on def ears. Bottom line you know our trade you know when we have money plan your advertisements accordingly and you will need more then a few a year. If some company comes out with a new product take advantage of that and send out an advertisement with the new specs that sort of stuff works. The open houses lets put this way I am invited to 5-8 each spring I go to one now no more the others do not need them and are only a waste of my time. The one I went to I bought 2 new mowers this year and dropped 14 k. The reason for having them is to sell stuff that can be done any time the main reason to go is seeing the new models and getting a good meal does not hurt. If you cant cook hire a decent caterer last thing you want is to offer food that is mediocre as you will not get them back again.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

another thing that draws me in is if the prices are already on the direct mail. Without prices, I hardly ever bother checking it out
  8. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer has a open house in the spring. Even has it "catered". Lots of guys bring thier crews in for breakfast, and to look things over.

I have bought equipment every year at the open house...and the guys love it too!
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer contact...? What's that?

I've been in the business for eight seasons, and have yet to be contacted by any dealer with which I've done primary business. Yes, Exmark sends out a brochure once a year (it came today), but that is not from the local dealer.

I do usually go to John Deere Day, but I have bought nothing significant from them. And, I have to call to get the date. But, dealers who sold the w/b mowers, trimmers/blowers/EC, hand mowers, ... never hear from them.

Earlier this year, the Exmark dealership was transferred to a new company, moved to a new location. Have I heard about their new location? No. I learned about the move from a third party. If I would have gone back to buy parts this Spring, I would have found locked doors.

The dealers in this area need to have some marketing and sales education, along with PR training. It would go a long way to get new business. My observations are not unique, but shared by others.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I like postcards. I like invites to special events. I like a dealer that has a clue when I get there.