What is the best way to edge beds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Aug 20, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to edge beds? I'm not talking about using stones or that plastic edging stuff, just making a nice 3-4 inch deep edge around a customer's beds around her house. I've heard to use a spade ( is that what u call one of those flat shovels?). But to sharpen it first do just use the same thing i use to sharpen my blades? Or is there a bed edger machine I can rent that would do it much quicker, saving me a lot of time?

Thanks

2. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we just use an edging shovel, no sharpening, just one of the small square edging shovels. I know thats not a good description, but thats the only way to describe it. Use that, edge at aprox a 45degree angle, a little practice and it will come out perfect!

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I use my wb edger and make a straight edge, the go back and make a 45 degree edge a few inches way from the first straight edge, Then dig it out and clean it up real nice with a shovel

4. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

So would this be almost like digging 3-4 inches straight down only with a bit of angle toward the bed? Cause I think I read something where u want to cut at least 3-4 inches down so that the roots from the grass will be ended thus keeping excess grass out of beds? So I'll almost be putting the shovel in straight down?

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, that is correct.

I also use the lawn edger to cut a very smooth line, then use a shovel from the bed side to remove material. It is pretty quick, and looks very nice.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the edge to be 90 degrees, not a 45 degree slant toward the bed. A 90 degree edge can be maintained with a stick edger. An edge that is slanted cannot be maintained that way, rather must be cut with the string trimmer.

For me, the best tool is the half-moon edger tool. If there isn't much to start with, getting started with a pass using the stick edger. Then use the half-moon tool to cut deeper and loosen the material. A square shovel can be used to remove the debris.

I'm disappointed when a customer chooses to "sharpen up" the edges on his own, using a garden shovel. The straight edge that I've worked hard to maintain is scalloped. The curved shape of the garden shovel is a not useful to keep the straight line.

7. CGlandscaping

CGlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a Bedbug by bluebird... cost about $2,000 but it does a heck of a job... also it has other attachments

8. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

i use a edger

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Brown Bed edger can usually be rented.

Or check out trenchblade.com, they do a nice job and are inexpensive, however they wont dig 3 to 4 "

10. TCS Landscaping

TCS Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

Yes, I hear trenchblade does a great job.