What is the best way to get rid of small patches of crap grass in the lawn?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by paull, Jul 14, 2008.

1. paull

paull LawnSite Member

I have small patches of crap grass in my lawn. They are just 4 inches by 4 inches big. I tried to dig them up and put new soil and seeds, it was a lot of work. What is the best way to get rid of the patches and reseed.

You think use an auger and a cordless drill to drill it out will work?

Another idea is: I have the Mantis and edger and aerator tines. What if I use the wheel from the edger on one side and put the aerator tine on the other to make the grinding area small as possible. Put the tine on top of the grass and grind it.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Paul,

Before you go running around attacking windmills with a lance like Don Quixote, you probably ought to know who your enemy is, first !!

Since "crab grass" is not an identifiable type of lawn weed in any part of the world, it would be wise to for you to, 1st and foremost, figure out what type of 'undesirable' you have...so that the rest of us can understand, too...so that we can ALL be on the same page, and help you out with the necessary chemical and /or mechanical control measures.

With all due respect, if I EVER saw any professional landscaper or lawn care crews removing pieces of sod with a auger and a cordless drill, I would immediately call the 'guys in the white coats' :dizzy:.

Can you post a couple digital pics...one close -up with the 'undesirable' grass alone, and one with it, blended in with the rest of your turf ?

Here's something from the University of California.
    The ABC's of weed control, pretty much geared toward the homeowner.
    You may even be able to ID your weed, by seeing pics of it on this site !

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74113.html

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

You can buy "crabgrass killer" almost anywhere these days. IF that is what it is. Otherwise spray the small area with Round-Up, wait 7 days, rake it up and reseed. Be carefull with the spray. Round-Up kills EVERYTHING you spray it on. Use a paint brush for "selective" control. Pics would def help

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

just buy crab grass fert.