What is the best way to get some bona fide "Turf Knowledge"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to get some bona fide "Turf Knowledge"? I am talking strictly about turf(grass) whether it be books you reccomend, classes, websites, tutors or whatever else. I am not talking about the stuff you learn from experience. I realize that can only be learned through experience. I just wanna better myself at this and believe I should start learning about it, but am not sure how to go about it. I will eventually learn about everything else, but for now my main concern is "Turf Knowledge".
    All help is already appreciated!!!!

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

vibe i am taking a class at home from georgia university to be certified in turf. the book is 450 pages, i should be getting it any day now. it costs $315 for the book the test and shipping and handling. they say it will take most people a year, but they say alot of people complete it in 6 months. when you finish reading everything they will assign you to a college in your area where you can take your certifaction test. your certifacation is for 5 years. this sounds like a great investment, i know it is for me. i'll try and find the addrese and post it up here.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you are serious about learning the ins and out of Turfgrass Science, I would start surfing the major colleges who deal with Turfgrass Management. All of their websites will have valuable knowledge pertaining to species, cultural practices, and so on.

Another place you could invest in if you so desire would be the On-Line programs available thru the Univ. of GA, and Penn State. There are others out there as well.

Drop a dime at the local Co-Operative Extension. They have all kinds of copied materials and brochures for sale that are informative and will help you out.

Talk a walk to support your local library. There are numerous resources there for you to delve into as well.

Good Luck this season and Happy Hunting!!
    Kris

4. joshua

plcaa.com is the site where i found out about the corse at home. go to the site and click on certfied turfgrass professional certification. it has details on what you will learn and every detail of the coarse. hope this helps.

5. gr8 1

gr8 1 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I took the U of Ga course a couple years ago It teaches the basics and a little more. It is tough to make yourself study. I did mine during the fall and winter. I would have never got it done in the spring. It is good if you cant go to school full time.

6. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Josh,

That site does not come up. Are you sure that is
    right??

I wonder if Ohio State offers a week or two class
    one could take in the winter??

John

7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

8. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Just about to complete the Landscape Technicians Program At Cornnell Corp. Ext. I found it has been very usefull .
    Tom

9. joshua

eggy, i will be attending a 2 year program at kent state salem campus the professor used to teach at wisconsin and he says his student are the best in the country when they come out, because of more hands on with what we deal with. at ohio state i have a buddy going down there for the 4 year thing and he says there is around a 100 students in his hort. class, how do you exspect someone to learn sitting in the back? just not worth it.

10. joshua

hey my bad just type in plcaa and it will take you to a page with lawnsite.com and then Professional Lawn Care Association of America click on it and it will take you there. sorry about that.