What is the best way to keep cool?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brodo374, Jun 7, 2009.

1. brodo374

brodo374 LawnSite Member

been cutting for 10 years now...it gets very hot and humid here in west tennessee...to cool off i hose myself down every 3rd or 4th yard (during the extremely hot days). is there a better way?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

3. BadRancher

BadRancher LawnSite Fanatic

We livw in the southeast. I don't believe there is a way to keep cool unless you can invent a backpack a/c. All you have to look forward to is the a/c in your truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a wet towel in my cooler, wipe off with it and wrap it around my neck to cool down, helps some. Really just have to suck it up and drive on.
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

At least in FL, trying to stay cool is a losing battle. I try to reduce the heat as much as possible by wearing Under Armour (loose fitting) shirts, and drinking a lot of fluids. There's not really much you can do other than savor the A/C in the truck.
  6. Kingram52

Kingram52 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

You don't know what hot is untill you live in Arizona , but it's a dry heat.
    I like to walk thru the sprinklers or accidentally fall into the swimming pool.

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second the Under Armour, its all I wear.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. You are very smart not to test your ability to tolerate the heat. There is nothing macho about being found unconscious in a pool of your own body fluids. Just fainting from the heat is only in the movies. In real life, unconsciousness happens only after you have puked yourself, S$%^ your pants and peed yourself. Drink as much water as you can. Snack on potato chips, those have both sodium and potassium. Lastly keep wet. I live where it never goes below 70 in the day time in the "winter". The rest of the year can hit low 90's with high humidity. If I am out working, it is in faded jeans, white button down long sleeve shirts and a close fitting undershirt. The only time the long sleeve shirt comes off is when I am getting wet in the sprinklers or hose. Keeping the sun off of your skin and not wearing any dark colors helps a lot. I do not understand what companies are thinking putting their employees out in the sun in dark colored uniforms.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with greendoctor, you have to cover up yourself or you are just going to be hotter. I always wear long sleeve company t-shirt, jeans, bandanna around my neck, and a wide brimmed hat. Keeping the sun off your skin will reduce temperature. Drink lots and lots of fluids too, but not too much because that can be just as bad. I do not understand how some people work outside in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, you are just asking to have skin cancer down the road. Here you will very very rarely see a lawn crew or anyone else working outside not covered up. Why do you think the Arabs in the Saudi Arabian desert are covered head to toe in white robes, because it is cooler to keep the sun off of you. They have been doing it for thousands of years so it must be working.
  10. AdvancedLawns

AdvancedLawns LawnSite Member

florida water and ice water and some towels around your neck