What is the best way to prevent turf-tearing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smitty's lawncare, Nov 7, 2012.

1. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

Lately when i have been running my scag wb mower (it has new rear tires), i have noticed that when i turn, the grass gets ripped and torn by the tire that pivots. What is the best way to prevent this from happening? is there a better way to turn tightly? thank you!
  2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

It depends on your WB size, but with my 36 I do 3 passes and then when I reach the outlining area I go left real quick then a hard right(never locking up the right wheel). It obviously works with both sides and with a 48 WB you only need to do 2 passes around
  3. Mower20R

Mower20R LawnSite Member

When you get down to one end of the lawn, lets say you want to turn right, slow down a little and slightly turn to the right, when your close to lined up with your next pass, make the inside tire turn backwards, like your doing a z-turn, I do this with a Turf tracer and never have trouble, takes a little practice and timing, after a few lawns you'll have it down no problem. Always keep both tires moving on tight turns, you won't have any trouble then.
  4. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you might be using a beltdrive WB. If thats the case its just simply more work to turn without causing damage
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro or belt drive?
  6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

If you're talking a hydro machine:

Anytime a tire that has decent tread pivots on grass, you're usually gonna do some amount of damage. The trick is to try to never let the inside tire stop and pivot. It should always be moving slowly forward or backward (depending on how tight the turn is) but try to never let it sit still and pivot. It just takes time to master, and even then it's gonna happen (to some degree) every now and then.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

3 point turns when the grass is wet. Also try not to end in the same spot every week.
  8. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

thank you for the replies, and yes, i run a scag 36 belt drive.
  9. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I have a belt drive myself and I find turf damage happens when speeds are to fast or when turf is wet.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I was gonna say, 3 pt turns.

With my 36" hydro, I don't even like doing 180's as you get whipped around so fast you get your arms almost jerked off.