what is the best way to quote a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Oct 26, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

when you go to give an estimate on lawn service how do you quote them? do you give them a monthly rate? weekly or even yearly?

personally, I think that the way you qoute your price makes a difference as to whether you land the account or not. I have had more success qouting monthly than per cut price even though it comes the the same $$$ amount.

2. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We quote per mow, & different prices for weekly or Bi-Weekly even though when TJ was mowing himself, he did not offer Bi-Weekly due to taller grass.

We have "full Service" LCO's in our market that quote a yearly price for a specific amount of mows, fertilizer, bushes, then their contract provides for 12 equal payments. We prefer the Ala Carte method, because so many want to skip, or, quit early etc. & we can do it easy as opposed to a contract where they want a credit.

Don't understand how you could quote a monthly rate due to 5 weeks being in some months. I know when we quote $25 weekly, many say so, that is $100 a month, & we say yes except for about 2 months of the season. The way we land an account is to be ready with a price & we can be there tomorrow, & since they don't want to hear any more recorders, & the grass is tall, they say great!

I am going to be in Maui in January for 2 weeks near your town, would like to buy lunch & hear more about lawn Biz in Hawaii.

MJ Justmowing.com

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Per mow (every 7 days unless otherwise noted). And then tell them the mowing season starts the last week of April and ends.......WHEN I SAY IT DOES!! :rolleyes:

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

However they want it set up!!! :D If its a residential we give a per mow price and monthly since we bill monthly. If its a commercial we give either a yearly quote or monthly.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, if they want it skipped that week, its in my contract that they still pay the monthly rate. IM sure if I had to mow an extra time or two during the year, they aren't going to like it if I charge extra. I explain that when I go over my contract with my customers. The mowing season is 32 mowings for residential (or somewhere around there) and 40 for commercial. if I mow more than that, the customer comes out ahead. if less, then I make a few extra bucks.
    I have about 70 percent of my client base on contracts. Works out well. They know I will be there, they don't have to wonder.

6. USNOWME

USNOWME LawnSite Member

40 cuts for commercial accounts!! I didn't realize the season is that much longer in NC. That seems like a lot. How many times a week are you cutting?

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have always quoted per month. I've never had any reason to do otherwise. We don't get droughts around here and we always mow every week from March - October. So there's no reason not to do it monthly. It's always worked very well.

I think those who quote per cut are not mowing some weeks. Therefor, the price can vary from month to month. But if you live in an area where you know you'll be mowing each and every week - there's no reason not to quote at a monthly rate.

8. grass-scapes

just once a week. I Start mowing in March and mow sometimes into december. Granted, I don't mow weekly at the end, but if the season starts with a bang, I could start mowing in early march and be weekly by the end of march. 40 seems high, but at least im covered and not mowing for free. Sometimes, I will cut it back when I quote to 35 or so, just depends on how bad I want the job. This year, I had a Residential customer that I based on 28 mowings....I had those done by early September. Good thing she cancelled or I would have been mowing for free. I am just now starting to be able to skip weeks due to non growth....Been a wild year here, thats for sure

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, I'm in the same town and still having to cut weekly (I guess my customers used more fert..LOL)

10. grass-scapes

The only ones I can skip are the mow, blow and go accounts...LOL... you are right about the fert. Thats the point I was trying to make to the other person.