What is the best way to remove old mulch!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BTLawncare

BTLawncare LawnSite Member

Do your local dumps take the mulch if you don't have somewhere on your property to put it?

2. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not for sure if they take it or not but I'm pretty sure they do. My dad has an orchard so he is always wanting the old mulch I take out since appearance means nothing to him. My clients want it to "look" good rather than its function.

3. ethanpls

ethanpls LawnSite Member

So, all the guys gave you the modest answer. Here's the expensive version. Get a new or used C4500 with a 15 foot dump body, mount a billy goat debris loader (the new 32" wide hose and 25hp subaru motor)....and affix a tube from loader to said truck, add gas and suck out the mulch. But really, it could be done with a simple burlap and your hands...how hard do you want to work?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is the correct answer. Mulch turns into a beneficial mat of decomposed matter and surface roots from the plants. If it's really thick use a leaf rake and remove the top layer. If you apply the correct amoount of new mulch you wont have any color change issues. This why I stopped using weedblock fabric. It was actually inhibiting plant development and didn't seem to make much difference in weed control provided the bed was properly prepped in the first place.:usflag:

5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Weed block is a waste of the customers money and a pain to anyone later. I only use it if the customer doesn't listen to reason and insists.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Only time we ever remove mulch is when there is years of layering going on and no breakdown. Basically where bad practices were used in the mulch beds.

Our mulch cycle is every 2 years. In that time, mulch is maintained by turning it in the spring to aid in breakdown. That and any good landscape that is maintained properly will loose a bit during cleanups, and things like hedge trimming.

7. Wow, 2years is way too long down here. It needs to be refreshed every 6 mo. IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have the frost/freeze cycles like we do. Basically you get 12 months of decomposition compared to our 7 months.

That and I wouldn't be surprised in the mulch longevity due to regional differences.