What is the best /weedeater/line trimmer/string trimmer/ on the face of the earth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merkava_4, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

SHINDAIWA, hands down. Pick a model, they are all great!!!

Duk, I guess YOU haven't been in the business too long. Originally they were called "grass trimmers" or "string trimmers". Weedeater was an actual brand name of grass trimmers. The name just caught on where everyone uses it now. Its like "Kleenex" is for facial tissue, "Bobcat" is for a skid steer loader or "Q-tip" is a cotton swab.
    If your coming on a thread to poke fun then, at least know what your talking about.:laugh:
  2. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love trimmer threads!! You can never have too many trimmer threads!! :clapping:
  3. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl is the way to go
  4. jbt79

jbt79 LawnSite Member

Stihl 4-mix Very powerful and starts first pull everytime. I can run as fast as I can with it doing a fence line or something and just rips through everything. I have the FS 110R. Brushcutter attatchment works well on it too.
  5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

They were "Weedeater" first.

The string trimmer was introduced in the early 1970's by George Ballas of Houston, Texas. He got the idea while taking his car through an automatic wash and watching the revolving action of the cleaning brushes. He attached pieces of heavy-duty fishing line to an empty popcorn can bolted to an edger. From this he went on to develop his string trimmer called "Weed Eater" because of the way it chewed up grass and weeds around trees
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As an addendum to what Sammy Sez :), plagerism isn't your strong suit by the way (wikipedia), the term Weed Eater is a brand name of Poulan. They are actually all string trimmers.

7. The_Duk

The_Duk LawnSite Member

oh man you got me... i got slammed on a forum... :cry:

lol.. i meant no harm.

thanks for the "string trimmer" history lesson. they don't teach that in Texas schools.
  8. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

Stihl 4mix weedeaters are a joke
  9. Mow'n'Blow21

Mow'n'Blow21 LawnSite Member

I swear by the Echo, but like others say, you probably can't go wrong with any of the top brands.
  10. smalltime lawn guy

smalltime lawn guy LawnSite Member

I love my new stihl fs90R with the 4 mix! This is my first professional grade trimmer so take it for what it's worth.