What is the best /weedeater/line trimmer/string trimmer/ on the face of the earth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merkava_4, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please explain why ... I'd appreciate the information. :)
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

So true ! Run them both and you will understand. I agree the old 2-cycle Stihl trimmers were great.
  3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Since I have more string trimmers (weedeaters) than I can count, I'm not sure there is a "best" trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa 270 that I traded an hours work for--it's rock solid, but heavy. It came from commercial crew that uses and abuses equip. Worked on several more--they are tough!

Just bought a new Kawasaki KGT27A as my own personal trimmer--hands off is the word when we go out. Bought it because one of the guys that I maintain equip. for has some that I know are on there 4th or 5th year--could be longer, they have thousands of hours on them, are light weight, and strong enough for anything I get into.

Maintain equip for another guy who uses RedMax. Previously he ran Shin 270 but got tired of the weight. The older RedMax's were great--newer ones come to me for repair more often than they should. He mostly runs the 2301 and 2401.

All this said, today I would vote for the Kaw KGT27A.

Haven't used or worked on Stihls--no opinion! RedMax and Shindaiwa rule the trade around here, beginning to see a few more Stihls on trailers.
  4. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

I like echo trimmers.
  5. 05 superduty

05 superduty LawnSite Member

Anything but redmax. The throttle levers are flimsy and they're built like crap. I only run the high torque echos and they're great, srm 261t, unless u want the attachments then i'd go with the stihl fs-80 or 85.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

7. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I post to you twice already, I don't think you'll be happy with just one. You need two, just like me. There is no one that fit all. You need a he man big dude and a pizzy little dude, then you'll be happy.

I think you break my record in asking about trimmer at this point, and the advice is from one OCD to the other OCD!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::drinkup:
  8. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

All these string trimmers are designed by short people it seems like.

In today's world, if you're short and use a string trimmer, you've got the advantage.
  9. taterlawn

taterlawn LawnSite Member

You are right about the midget weedeaters and yes I said weedeater . I will use nothing but husqvarna I have one that has been through hell. Its been used for 10 years commercially everyday and runs like it is new, I am not knocking any other brand, all I am saying is that I use Husqvarna everything and never had trouble with any of it.
  10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Me too, mine have never failed to start.
    Posted via Mobile Device