1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best /weedeater/line trimmer/string trimmer/ on the face of the earth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merkava_4, Mar 30, 2010.

1. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

It's all a matter of personal preference. When practical and available I prefer a 4 stroke engine over a 2 stroke engine. To me a 4 stroke engine is more of a work engine and a 2 stroke engine is more of a performance engine.

That said, I prefer the Honda 4 stroke trimmer over a comparable 2 stroke trimmer for the following reasons:

1 No gas and oil to mix.

2 Better fuel economy

3 Quieter

4 Lower emissions

5 Less vibration

6 Easier starting

7 More torque at low RPM's means less fuel used, tall grass trimmed at partial throttle, less debris kicking up,quieter operation.

8 The Honda 4 stroke trimmer can be operated and stored in any position just like a 2 stroke.

I have used both a 2 stroke trimmer and the Honda 4 stroke trimmer, I prefer the Honda, but that is me, you should demo several makes and models to reach a decision.

Info on the Honda trimmer I own in below link.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...=P2TB&modelname=HHT35SLTAT&modelid=HHT35SLTAT

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Gatorline .095 or .105 is definately the hands down best.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Where is the face of the Earth? I want to take a picture.

4. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Being a big Shindaiwa fan, the T270 with the loop handle was legendary in it's power to weight ratio. However, I had a friend turn me on to the Kawasaki KGT27A with the SpeedFeed head and that was the perfect combo right there. Grab a KGT27A if you can still get one! The Kaw KGT27B are not the same. I've tried the Stihl 2 cycle trimmers and they seem to have a lot of torque for their size but not the smoothness and refinement of the Shindaiwa IMHO.