What is the best Z mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Robert Burnham, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

I have run walker mowers for nine years and am finding that as properties get bigger I need something faster and able to cut without bagging. I have tried side discharge decks for the walkers, but they leave visable windrows of grass, especially in thick damp grass or leaves. My question is what have you found to be the best Z mowers for cut and overall reliability? I am looking for a 52" Z, so whats the best, Scag Turf Tiger - BobcatZT-200 - Toro Z master - Exmark - etc.?

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Here we go again....check the search function so Eric won't have to delete all of Lazer's posts.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hey everybody! Let's take a vote - then recount them again!

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

demo a z master! Better yet... demo it in wet grass....

5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I was considering a walker. I admit it would be nice for bagging and for fall cleanups, but i am also bidding on cutting my neighbourhood park(10 acres) and one other common ground piece at about 15 acres. this might make me rethink

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Have you seen the one they have at Sears? Well it's not that one for sure :D

Other than that advice...take your pick. You will get conflicting opinions about which is best. That tells you that there are many good machines on the market. If you want my opinion, I would say Exmark.

[Edited by Keith on 11-10-2000 at 01:17 AM]

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52 Laser. Tried everything befor I bought a Exmark, now I would never change!!

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

uuuhhh, what's that one called???

Oh, yes! Exmark Lazar

9. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I had this question back in May, I went with a Dixie Chopper. I am convinced it was worth the extra money. I am very satisfied. The faster mowing speed will allow you to cut more grass per hour. The dependability and longevity makes it cheaper to own over the years. Time will tell. My second choice would be the Exmark in my area.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Robert, Why do you want a 52", when there's 60" - 72" decks available?